Will there be changes to my taxes because of the Affordable Health Care Reform Act?

If you would like to subscribe to our email list, please enter your email address below and click "Subscribe".

Your information was not able to be saved at this time. Please try again.

Security Check
Security Check

Enter the characters you see above.

The new Health Care law does include some tax changes but whether they affect you or not will depend on your particular circumstances.

In 2013, joint filers with incomes over $250,000 and single filers with incomes over $200,000 will be subject to 2 taxes:

  • Medicare tax on earned income-
    The tax will increase from 1.45% to 2.35% but only on income beyond the $200,000/ $250,000 thresholds.
  • Medicare tax on investment income-
    A 3.8% tax will be assessed on interest, dividends, capital gains, rent and royalty income. Investment income from retirement accounts is not subject to the tax.
  • Taxpayers at any income level could be subject to these changes:
  • Cap on flexible spending account (FSA) contributions- In 2013, a cap of $2,500 goes into effect. Any account holdings above the cap becomes part of your taxable income. The cap will rise each year as the cost of living increases.
  • New limits on medical deductions- In 2013, expenses used to deduct out of pocket medical expenses will rise from 7.5% to 10% for filers under age 65. If you are over 65, the law goes into effect in 2016.

One final change to note is that after 2013, you will be required to prove health care coverage on your tax return each year. Your health insurance provider or employer will also have to submit relevant information to the IRS.

Copyright © 2014 TaxSlayer LLC   |  
3003 Allen Drive Evans, GA 30809   |  
706-922-6741   |  
© 2014 Refund distribution subject to IRS acceptance of return & The Citizens Banking Company. *IRS refund times will vary but most IRS refunds will be issued in less than 21 days after efiling. TaxSlayer cannot guarantee date of receipt of refund. Your Privacy is Important: We do not rent, sell or share your personal information with anyone. Your e-mail is used to communicate with you about your return status, retrieve your Username or reset your Password. *TaxSlayer phone support available January 2nd through April 19th. (C) 2014 JR Motorsports, LLC. The name, likeness and signature of Dale Earnhardt Jr are used with the permission of JR Motorsports, LLC and JRM Licensing, LLC.

*Free tax advice is available for free with TaxSlayer Premium Edition. This product is available by phone or email, Monday – Friday through April 15th. * File a simple federal return for free, states additional. Please check the website for the hours of operation as they may vary due to capacity. *TaxSlayer.com guarantees accurate calculations or we will reimburse you any Federal and/or State penalties and interest charges. *Maximum Refund Guarantee- Your refund is based on data supplied by you and is calculated based on the schedule and forms supported by TaxSlayer.com. A larger refund or smaller tax liability cannot be due to differences in data submitted to TaxSlayer.com or positions taken that are contrary to law. If you find that another tax software calculated a larger refund or smaller tax liability based on the same information provided to TaxSlayer.com, we will refund your applicable fees paid to TaxSlayer.com. *Actual prices for services rendered are determined at the time of print or efile and are subject to change without notice.asas

*TaxSlayer Free Federal Edition is limited to the 1040EZ form. Users with additional tax forms will be upgraded to TaxSlayer Classic Edition.

*All major forms and schedules: Your return is completed by all of the major forms and schedules supported by TaxSlayer.com. To see the complete list of major forms and schedules supported by TaxSlayer.com visit *Supported Federal Forms page.
Site feedback
Go to top

Form 1040EZ is the simplest form to fill out.
You may use Form 1040EZ if you meet all the following conditions:

If you file Form 1040EZ, you cannot itemize deductions or claim any adjustments to income or tax credits (other than the earned income credit).