Online Tax Filing Blog

The Official Blog of Tax Software


Five Things That Ministers Should Know About Taxes

In order to get the largest refund possible as a minister, it is important to understand the basics of how a minister’s tax return may be different from other returns.

1. Most ministers are considered employees for Federal Income Tax purposes and are paid on a W-2. However, some ministers are self-employed such as some traveling evangelists and interim pastors. In these cases, you would receive a 1099- MISC and you would be required to report your income and expenses on a Schedule C. Also, many ministers that are employees of the church may be self-employed for other reasons such as speaking at guest appearances at other churches or performing services directly for individuals (such as weddings and funerals).

2. Even if you are considered an employee of the church and you receive a W-2 you will have to pay self-employment taxes on the income. Minister must pay self-employment tax unless they have filed a timely exemption application, Form 4361. You may file a timely form 4361 if you are opposed on the basis of religious consideration to the acceptance of benefits under the Social Security program. However, you are not exempt from paying Social Security Tax or Medicare tax on income you receive as a minister in any duty you perform that is considered self-employment income (such as weddings, funerals, and guest speaking appearances at other churches).

3. If you itemize and you are paid as an employee you may be able to deduct unreimbursed business expenses you incurred on your Schedule A.

4. You will need to use Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ to report earnings from marriages, baptisms, and funerals.

5. One of the most important benefits of being a minister is that you can qualify for a housing allowance. A housing allowance is used to pay for housing related expenses which include mortgage payments, rent, utilities, repairs, furnishings, insurance, property taxes, additions and maintenance. Ministers who own or rent their home do not pay Federal Income Taxes on the amount of compensation that their employing church designates as a housing allowance ahead of time. Although you do not have to pay Federal Income Taxes on your housing allowance it is subject to Self- Employment tax.
Comments are closed
Copyright © 2013 TaxSlayer LLC | 706-922-6741 | 3003 Allen Drive Evans, GA 30809
© 2013 Refund distribution subject to IRS acceptance of return & University National Bank. *IRS refund times will vary but most IRS refunds will be issued in less than 21 days after efiling. TaxSlayer cannot guarantee date of receipt of refund. Your Privacy is Important: We do not rent, sell or share your personal information with anyone. Your e-mail is used to communicate with you about your return status, retrieve your Username or reset your Password. *TaxSlayer phone support available January 2nd through April 19th. (C) 2013 JR Motorsports, LLC. The name, likeness and signature of Dale Earnhardt Jr are used with the permission of JR Motorsports, LLC and JRM Licensing, LLC.

*Free tax advice is available for free with TaxSlayer Premium Edition. This product is available by phone or email, Monday – Friday through April 15th. Please check the website for the hours of operation as they may vary due to capacity. * guarantees accurate calculations or we will reimburse you any Federal and/or State penalties and interest charges. *Maximum Refund Guarantee- Your refund is based on data supplied by you and is calculated based on the schedule and forms supported by A larger refund or smaller tax liability cannot be due to differences in data submitted to or positions taken that are contrary to law. If you find that another tax software calculated a larger refund or smaller tax liability based on the same information provided to, we will refund your applicable fees paid to *Actual prices for services rendered are determined at the time of print or efile and are subject to change without notice. Prices are good until April 1st 2013.

*All major forms and schedules: Your return is completed by all of the major forms and schedules supported by To see the complete list of major forms and schedules supported by visit *Supported Federal Forms page.
Go to top