Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Connecticut

Connecticut Military Filing Information

Military Personnel Filing Requirements
Military personnel and their spouses who claim Connecticut as a residence but are stationed elsewhere are subject to Connecticut income tax. If you enlisted in the service as a Connecticut resident and have not established a new domicile (permanent legal residence) elsewhere, you are required to file a resident income tax return unless you meet all of the conditions in Group A or Group B for being treated as a nonresident.

If your permanent home (domicile) was outside Connecticut when you entered the military, you do not become a Connecticut resident because you are stationed and live in Connecticut. As a nonresident, your military pay is not subject to Connecticut income tax. However, income you receive from Connecticut sources while you are a nonresident may be subject to Connecticut income tax. See the instructions for a Connecticut nonresident contained in the instruction booklet for Form CT-1040NR/PY.

Example: Jill is a resident of Florida. She enlisted in the Navy in Florida and was stationed in Groton, Connecticut. She earned $38,000 in military pay.

If Jill had no other income . . .
Since Jill resided and enlisted in Florida, she is considered a resident of Florida and does not have to file a Connecticut return. Military personnel are residents of the state in which they resided when they enlisted.

If Jill had a part-time job in Connecticut . . .
Her Connecticut-sourced income from nonmilitary employment is taxable. Jill must file Form CT-1040NR/PY to report the income.

Combat Zone
The income tax return of any individual in the U.S. Armed Forces serving in a combat zone or injured and hospitalized while serving in a combat zone is due 180 days after returning. There will be no penalty or interest charged. For any individual who dies while on active duty in a combat zone or as a result of injuries received in a combat zone, no income tax or return is due for the year of death or for any prior taxable year ending on or after the first day serving in a combat zone. If any tax was previously paid for those years, the tax will be refunded to the legal representative of the estate or to the surviving spouse upon the filing of a return on behalf of the decedent. In filing the return on behalf of the decedent, the legal representative or the surviving spouse should enter zero tax due and attach a statement to the return along with a copy of the death certificate.

Combat zone is an area designated by the President of the United States as a combat zone by executive order. A combat zone also includes an area designated by the federal government as a qualified hazardous duty area.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces serving in military operations in the Kosovo, Afghanistan, or Arabian Peninsula regions are eligible for the 180-day extension allowed to individuals serving in a combat zone. Spouses of military personnel and civilians supporting the military in these regions who are away from their permanent duty stations, but are not within the designated combat zone, are also eligible for the extension. Individuals requesting an extension under combat zone provisions should print both the name of the combat zone and the operation they served with at the top of their Connecticut tax return. This is the same combat zone or operation name provided on their federal income tax return.