What adoption expenses can and cannot be claimed?
Qualified adoption expenses include:
- Adoption fees
- Attorney fees
- Court costs
- Travel expenses (including meals and lodging) while away from home
- Re-adoption expenses relating to the adoption of a foreign child
Qualified adoption expenses do not include expenses:
- That violate state or federal law,
- For carrying out a surrogate parenting arrangement,
- For the adoption of your spouse's child,
- Paid or reimbursed by your employer or any other person or organization, or
- Allowed as a credit or deduction under any other provision of federal income tax law.
For further information on Adoption Credits, click here.