As a U.S. based company offering products related to the preparation of U.S. federal and state tax returns, TaxSlayer does not market to nor target subjects of other countries including those in the European Economic Area. In addition, as a provider of tax preparation software, TaxSlayer may be considered an exempt financial institution (or some of the data that TaxSlayer collects may be exempt) under certain U.S. state privacy laws. While the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and various data privacy laws do not apply to TaxSlayer, we strive to meet all rules and regulations relating to data protection and security promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service and its Security Summit (https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/security-summit for more information) and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act ("GLBA"). Please see our GLBA Notice for additional information.
We collect information from you directly, the devices that you use to interact with us, and third-party analytics providers.
Information You Give to Us
You may provide the following information to us directly when you enter and use our Platform, contact us for support, or purchase products and services:
• Contact information, such as name, email address, and phone number.
• Account information, such as username and password.
• Payment information, including credit card information (collected by us or our third-party payment processor) is used only to complete your transaction.
• Information contained in communications to us, including your requests for support or assistance and information necessary to contact you or otherwise fulfill your request. We may ask you to share your screen or chat with us via video conferencing, and we will always ask your permission before recording any of these sessions.
• Information you provide to us to prepare or file a tax return using our Platform, which information may include your Social Security Number, date of birth, income, employment status, marital status, claimed deductions, credits, and other information necessary to accurately complete your tax return (collectively, "Tax Return Information").
• Banking information, such as account and routing numbers, which we use to facilitate refunds.
• Information that you make available to us via a social media platform, including content that you post on our social media pages and community pages.
• Information you submit to inquire about or apply for a job with us.
• Information you provide when you provide customer testimonials or feedback; post comments on our blog or community forums; or participate in our surveys, promotions, marketing events, trade shows, webinars, conferences, training, or product research. This may also include contact information that you provide to participate in contests, promotions, and marketing events that are sponsored by us and administered by another entity.
• Any other information you submit to us.
Information We Collect Automatically
• Internet service provider
• Device identification number, including mobile device ID and IP address
• Operating system and browser type
• Geolocation information
• Analytical information about how you interact with our Platform and services, including how often you use the Platform; access dates and times; your activities on our Platform, including pages viewed and features accessed, mouse clicks, movements, and scrolling activity, events that occur on the Platform; performance information; and referring and exit pages
For more information and to opt out of cookies, see our section on Your Rights and User Controls below.
Our products and services are not intended for or directed to children under the age of 13, nor do we knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13.
We may use the information we collect for the following purposes:
• Tax preparation and related services: Section 301-7216 of the Internal Revenue Code (“Section 7216”) specifically governs the use and disclosure of “Tax Return Information” as that term is used in Section 7216. Tax Return Information may also be considered “Nonpublic Customer Information” protected under the GLBA. Some states may also have additional laws and regulations related to use and disclosure of the same information. We use your Tax Return Information only in accordance with those applicable laws and regulations to prepare and assist in preparing your tax return, to provide services associated with preparing your tax return, to operate our tax preparation business as necessary (e.g., for internal administrative purposes), and to provide you with other products and services you specifically request or consent to, unless otherwise allowed under applicable law.
• Service functionality: To provide products and services you request, including to process payments, fulfill orders, import data for tax return preparation, verify your identity, process forms, and facilitate service communications, as well as to conduct general business operations, such as accounting, recordkeeping, and audits.
• Service improvement: As permitted by law, to improve our services, analyze our customer base and purchasing trends and the effectiveness of our marketing.
• Customer support: As permitted by law, to address questions submitted to our customer or technical support systems, to send updates or security alerts, and to analyze and improve our customer support services. Our support team may communicate with you via email, phone, or chat.
• Product surveys and user research: As permitted by law, to solicit feedback about our products and services, including offers to participate in paid user research or focus groups. Product surveys, feedback sessions, or focus groups may be performed by a third-party service provider. In some cases, we may use your information to determine your suitability for a particular research session or product survey. We may also provide additional disclosures and consents in order to participate in product surveys or user research. For example, we may send you an e-mail offer to participate in a paid research study about your TaxSlayer experience; if you indicate your interest in participating, we may ask for your consent to allow us to disclose certain information (such as your basic contact details) to our third-party user research service provider to help schedule and personalize your research session. Or, if you visit certain parts of our Site, you may be presented with an opportunity to participate in an online survey that requires a screen recording tool.
• Personalization: To personalize your online experience, such as by recording your preferences and settings.
• Security and fraud prevention: To monitor and investigate fraud, identity theft, and other illegal activity; to protect your rights and safety or the rights and safety of others; and to protect and secure our services, Platform, assets, network, and business operations.
• Legal compliance: To comply with legal process, such as subpoenas, court orders, warrants, and other lawful regulatory or law enforcement requests and to comply with legal requirements.
Unless allowed by applicable law (including Section 7216) and we have your consent, we do not:
• Sell or rent your personal information for money;
• Use Tax Return Information to market products or services unrelated to tax preparation; or
• Share your Tax Return Information or other sensitive personal information with nonaffiliated third parties for their own use or commercial purposes. You can opt out of certain online technologies as described further below.
The privacy and security of your information is important to us. As indicated below, we may share your information to support the products and services you request, or provide your information to third parties, upon your specific consent, for products and services that may benefit you.
We may share your information with the following types of entities:
• IRS and State Revenue Authorities: We disclose Tax Return Information only in accordance with your requests, such as when filing a tax return with the IRS or state revenue authority, or as allowed by applicable law (including certain permitted disclosures to other tax preparers or providers of auxiliary services).
• Public Authorities: TaxSlayer may be required to preserve and disclose personal information including Tax Return Information, and any part thereof, without your consent as provided by law, such as, to respond to lawful requests by authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, a subpoena or court order, judicial process or bankruptcy proceedings, or regulatory authorities to protect against fraud and in compliance with the IRS Security Summit. We may also disclose your personal information when we believe disclosure is necessary to protect your rights and safety, or the rights and safety of others. We may disclose your information to federal, state, or local officials to assist in the investigation or prosecution of a crime. As permitted by law, we may disclose your information to the IRS and Information Sharing and Analysis Centers (ISACs) to prevent stolen identity refund fraud (SIRF) and as related to potential cyber security threats.
• Acquiring Businesses: Your information may be disclosed in connection with an actual sale, merger, acquisition, dissolution or transfer of all or a portion of our business or relevant operating unit. We reserve the right to transfer your information as part of the transaction. In such an event, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership, incompatible new uses of your personal information, and choices you may have regarding your personal information.
• Service Providers: In some cases, your information may be disclosed to our service providers to complete a product purchase, to fulfill a service you request, to provide analytics about our product, to conduct or facilitate product surveys or user research, to improve our product or services, to market one of our products or services, or to provide other services related to the support, maintenance, and management of our tax return preparation products and services. Our service providers include companies that use web analytics software or tools, deliver downloadable products, process forms, verify your identity, assist with data import, offer online software applications, facilitate chat support functionality, or send emails on our behalf. For example, we may share your first name and a pseudonymous identifier with our chat support service provider, so that our support agents can help better serve you when you initiate a chat support session through our Site. We may share your name, contact information, and other personal information that you provide to our identity verification service provider. In some cases, you may be presented with additional disclosures and consents before we share certain information with our service providers. For example, we may ask for your consent before sharing your basic contact information with a service provider that we engage to help facilitate paid research studies about our products and services. Not all service providers may be applicable to you. Some service providers are only relevant if you use certain tax forms or otherwise prepare a tax return using our software.
• Joint Marketing and Custom-Label Partners: We may provide information to individuals or companies with whom we have a joint marketing arrangement and/or that custom-label our Platform. We require all marketing and custom-label partners to have written contracts with us that require them to safeguard your information and prohibits them from selling, retaining, using, or disclosing your information for any purpose other than for performing the contract. We only share Tax Return Information with custom-label partners as permitted under Section 7216.
•Other Platform Visitors: We may post customer testimonials on our website, advertisements, emails, social media accounts, or other platforms. These testimonials may contain personal information such as a customer’s name. If we obtain your testimonial from a third-party review site, we may post your review, subject to the review site’s policies, along with your public user profile information. We will obtain your consent to use your full name prior to posting your testimonial that you submit directly to us. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, contact us at email@example.com. Our website also offers publicly accessible blogs and/or community forums. Any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why. For example, if you used a third-party application to post such information, you may need to contact that third-party application directly.
TaxSlayer understands the importance of protecting customer information and we have implemented reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures designed to protect personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. This includes a designated information security team, written information security policies and procedures, incident detection and response measures, network firewalls, encryption, password protections, and restrictions on which personnel can access any customer personal information. For example, TaxSlayer employees are only allowed to access customer information necessary to perform their job functions and only for the purposes for which it was collected.
With respect to your Tax Return Information, TaxSlayer meets all rules and regulations relating to data protection and security for the tax industry promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service and its Security Summit (https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/security-summit for more information).
TaxSlayer's web-based and mobile applications secure information by utilizing a variety of security-related technologies to comply with regulatory standards and our internal information security policies.
We may use generative artificial intelligence and related tools to optimize and deliver our products and services to you. For example, we may use AI to analyze how our Platform is used and to enhance and develop support to you. We will provide additional disclosures as required by law.
You have control over your personal data and how it's collected, used, and shared. You have the right to access any information held by TaxSlayer that you either input directly or information collected as described above, subject to our data retention policy above.
Request a copy of your information
Upon request, TaxSlayer will provide you with certain personal information you specifically request by contacting customer support at email@example.com or via a request sent to our address provided below. Your information will be provided in a machine-readable format.
Change or correct personal information
You may view, manage, and/or make changes to your personal information by visiting your account online at www.taxslayer.com and selecting “Edit Account Information” in the My Account dashboard; by emailing our customer support; or via mail as set forth in the Contact Us section below.
Opt out of Cookies
We endeavor to keep this list current, but since business structures and relationships may change, the information below may not always be comprehensive or up to date. For an updated list of our vendors, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are necessary to allow the technical operation of our Services. We use these cookies to authenticate you, run your session securely while you're logged in, help detect and prevent fraud, and provide you with our Services. This category also includes cookies that are used to help remember your site preferences and choices so that we can deliver Services, monitor our Services, and offer you enhanced functionality when using our Services.
Analytics Cookies: Analytics Cookies are used to help us understand how you access our Services so we can make improvements.
Advertising Cookies: Advertising Cookies are used to deliver relevant ads and track ad campaign performance and efficiency. For example, we and our ad partners may use information collected to serve you interest-based ads on our website or on other websites. Please note that even if you opt out of Advertising Cookies, you may still see advertisements, but they may not be tailored to your interests.
We may share some information about your website experience that is not sensitive or financial in nature with third parties that operate cookies on our site. We do not share sensitive personal information (including financial information you provide to prepare your tax return) with any business except service providers that provide a service related to our tax preparation software business. These service providers are contractually obligated to use that information only for the purpose of providing services to TaxSlayer and to protect such information from disclosure to other parties. Under the GLBA, you may not opt out of sharing with our service providers.
You may choose to opt out of certain technologies used on TaxSlayer's website, including Advertising Cookies (also known as "Targeting Cookies"). However, the choice to opt out of certain technologies may affect, alter, or eliminate the functionality of certain features of or the products and services offered by TaxSlayer.
Again, you can click on the "Your Privacy Choices" link in the website footer to opt-out of third-party cookies and similar technologies that are not required for website functionality. You are not able to opt out Strictly Necessary Cookies.
Finally, you can also set your Internet browser (e.g., Chrome, Safari, Edge, Internet Explorer, etc.) to warn you each time a cookie is being sent or to turn off all cookies (except Flash cookies). Check your browser's Help menu to find out how. You may also use third-party tools to identify and make additional choices about many technologies, including cookies. Note that if you use a different browser, or use a new or different device, you may need to renew your cookie preferences.
Additionally, most mobile devices allow you to manage how other technologies, such as unique identifiers are set and used. For example, the Advertising ID on Android devices or Apple's Advertising Identifier can be managed in your device's settings. Please reference your mobile operating system support documentation to learn more.
The following websites provide more information about your choices to opt-out of tracking through certain third-party advertising and analytics Cookies:
Opt out of email and SMS communications
To unsubscribe from receiving general marketing messages from us, please go to our unsubscribe page.
You can also write us at:
945 Broad Street
Augusta, GA 30901
TaxSlayer is committed to complying with all applicable state privacy laws, and will update this section as needed. As a provider of tax preparation software, TaxSlayer may be considered an exempt financial institution (or some of the data that TaxSlayer collects may be exempt) under certain U.S. state privacy laws.
California law provides California residents with additional rights regarding our collection and use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit the Privacy Notice for California Residents.
Any material changes to our policy will be immediately posted and made available to consumers on our website. Notification of changes may be made by email or by means of a notice on the Website.