When I think of November 24, I think of Thanksgiving, food, family and Black Friday! The Thanksgiving Holiday is the perfect time to get a head start on Christmas shopping and take advantage of seasonably low prices. But what you don’t want is to do is allow those Black Friday deals to put in the red.
Black Friday marks exactly 30 days until Christmas, which means you need to pace yourself when tempted by all the sales. To keep you on track, we’ve come up with some simple tips to help you underspend and not overspend.
- Create a gift list to include the item and how much you would like to spend on each item. Be sure to prioritize. In other words, you don’t need to buy gifts for everyone.
- Review the newspaper and online ads before shopping. This allows you to comparison shop and avoid spending time and/or gas visiting store after store.
- Set a spending limit. Before shopping, determine how much you can reasonably spend without neglecting other responsibilities like paying the bills.
- If you’re shopping in store, take cash. Of course it seems old fashion, but cash helps you to visually manage how much you’ve spent and stay on task.
- Stay focused. Only shop the deals and don’t waiver from your list.
- Don’t limit yourself to Black Friday. Cyber Monday is a lucrative option for great deals on items and you get to avoid the traffic and long lines.
If you remember these six easy steps, you may have some extra cash to treat yourself to something special. Happy Thanksgiving and happy shopping!