HEART Act for Military

We all appreciate the sacrifice that our soldiers make for our country. This is one of the reasons that TaxSlayer.com offers free e-file for military members and families. There is more good news due to a new law, and many military families may be eligible for a stimulus payment this fall.

Because of new legislation, the HEART Act (Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief Tax Act of 2008) will offer a stimulus payment. Before the new act, some military members or families did not receive payment because of an absence of a SSN for a spouse or a child. Below is a quote from the IRS Commissioner:

“The IRS wants to make it as easy as possible for military families to get the stimulus payments authorized by the new law. People who already have filed don’t need to do anything else to get their money. We’ll do the rest,” said IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman. “We will work as quickly as possible to put these new provisions in place while making sure the rest of the stimulus payment program continues smoothly through the summer and fall.”

This November, the Treasury Department will mail checks and make deposits to the qualified military families. Time frame for payments has not been set, but there will be an announcement later in the year. The number of families is estimated to be around 10,000.

The IRS has even gone so far as to work with the Department of Defense. They want to make sure that eligible families get their payments from the HEART Act. There are complexities with making the new payments, but the IRS should be commended for doing their best to take care of military personnel and their families.

You must have filed a 2007 federal tax return to get the stimulus payment. Even if you e-filed your return, as long as your return was accepted, you are eligible. If you are a married couple that filed a joint return, you don’t need to take any further action. For those that qualify, you should receive a payment up to $1,200 and $300 for each child under 17.

Remember that these stimulus payments for military members are based on 2007 returns so if you have not filed a 2007 tax return, make sure to do it as soon as possible.

Related Posts