It should not come as a big surprise to anyone that mobile is now THE #1 way that people shop around. It’s totally understandable, you’ve got places to go and people to see. While shopping on-the-go is super convenient, saving money while doing that is even better. If you were guessing this would be a list about money-saving apps, you’d be right. Before you click away, I have a confession: as a self-proclaimed app fanatic, more than half of these came as a pleasant surprise. Check them out below!
1. Gas Buddy: Let’s face it, fueling costs can eat up your budget quick. The average American spends about $2000 a year on gas. Two thousand! Gas Buddy gives you the lowdown on where the cheapest gas is in your area. Five cents may not seem like much, but when you save each time you pay at the pump, you could rack up around $30 a year in savings. That’s enough to treat yourself to six Starbucks drinks (or stash it in your piggy bank).
2. Checkout 51: Coupon clipping apps have been around for a while but Checkout 51 is taking a different approach. Instead of being the overwhelmed coupon lady at the register (no offense couponers, I totally respect your trade), you can purchase now and reap the coupon benefits on your own time. Once you’ve bought your groceries and goodies, upload your receipt to the app and if any of your items are coupon qualified, you’ll get money back! Depending on what you buy, you can save a lot of money and spend a lot less time at the register.
3. Thanx: You know that one restaurant where they know your order by heart or maybe you wish they did? This app is here to help. The employees may not remember you come here EVERY Thursday but Thanx will. By linking up your credit card, Thanx keeps track of your purchases at certain retailers and rewards your loyalty with cash back or coupons for your next visit.
4. DogVacay: So, all you #teamcats people may want to look away for this one. This is a dog-sitting service exponentially cheaper than boarding your dog at an expensive overnight kennel. Find dog-sitters in your area willing to watch your pup for as low as $20 per night. Worried about leaving Baxter with a stranger? Each sitter has a profile complete with a picture and reviews page so you can handpick the perfect protector. Also, if you don’t want to take your pup out of their element, the sitters can come to you. PS: Don’t have a dog but love them? You can sign up to be a DogVacay sitter and make some extra canine cash.
5. Hotel Tonight: This app caters to the spontaneous. If you’re looking to make a leap at a moment’s notice, look no further. Hotel Tonight offers steep discounts on luxury hotel stays exclusively on same-day reservations. Rather than the hotel making zilch on an empty room, you pay a fraction of the cost and everyone goes to sleep happy. They’ll allow you to book up until 2 in the morning. Looking for a quick trip to the city tonight? You’ll save anywhere from $50 to $300 off a night’s stay.
Give your wallet a rest and give in to the future of saving money. If you need me, I’ll be in the app store.