Newly married need to change name before filing taxes

June and August are among the most popular months for couples to say ‘I do,’ according to wedding website As the busy summer wedding season concludes, many newlyweds need to make an important step before filing a tax return with the IRS.

If you chose to take your spouse’s last name or your new last name is hyphenated, you must notify the Social Security Administration about your name change. Use File Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, which can be found here. The form provides more information about documents needed to support your name change such as your marriage certificate.

The name on your tax return must match Social Security Administration records, according to the IRS. If it does not, expect a letter from the IRS about the mismatch and a possible delay of your refund.

Your new card will have the same Social Security Number as before with your new married name. Congratulations!







Related Posts