The information in this article is up to date through tax year 2019 (taxes filed in 2020).
When tax time rolls around, you may debate whether to do your own taxes or let a professional take the load off your plate. Everyone’s situation is different, but if you’re leaning more toward the do-it-yourself approach, here are some points to consider:
Benefits of filing your tax return online
- Cost Savings: The primary advantage of doing your own taxes is the amount of money you can save. The average cost of hiring a tax preparer tends to be much more than choosing to file on your own. TaxSlayer has a range of options that begin at $0. See all tax filing options
- Learn More About Your Finances: When you do your own taxes, you become more educated about your financial situation. For instance, you may not be aware that you can receive a tax break if you made donations to a charity during the fiscal year or that you can take advantage of the home office deduction if you operate a business from your house or apartment. Completing your own tax return may help you discover ways to save on your taxes in the future.
- Privacy: If you don’t want to hand off your personal information to a stranger like a tax professional, taking the DIY route might be a better option for you. TaxSlayer keeps your personal data safe by utilizing multi-layer authentication, user information protection, and a dedicated security team.
- Time Savings: If you don’t have the time to waste countless hours filling your taxes or scheduling an appointment with a tax preparer, you should consider filing your taxes online. Unless you have a particularly complex tax situation it should be quick and easy to file online.
- Simplicity: Let’s face it. Unless you’re a tax professional, the IRS tax code can seem complicated. It’s also constantly evolving so you might be unaware of recent changes that can have an effect on your taxes. That’s why TaxSlayer is dedicated to keeping you informed year-round. And we always make sure our software reflects all the recent tax law changes, so you don’t have to think about it.
- Accuracy: When preparing your own taxes, it’s best to take your time and review everything to ensure you got it right. TaxSlayer comes with audit assistance options and a 100% accuracy guarantee to ensure you’re filing correctly and are protected in case of a mistake.