As a U.S. based company offering products related to the preparation of U.S. federal and state tax returns, TaxSlayer does not market to nor target subjects of other countries including those in the European Economic Area. In addition, as a provider of tax preparation software, TaxSlayer may be considered an exempt financial institution under certain U.S. state privacy laws. While the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and various data privacy laws do not apply to TaxSlayer, we meet all rules and regulations relating to data protection and security promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service and its Security Summit (https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/security-summit for more information) and comply with the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
We collect information from you directly, the devices that you use to interact with us, and third-party analytics providers.
Information You Give to Us
You may provide the following information to us directly when you enter and use our Platform, contact us for support, or purchase products and services:
• Contact information, including name, email address, and phone number.
• Account information, such as username and password.
• Payment information, including credit card information (collected by us or our third-party payment processor) is used only to complete your transaction.
• Information contained in communications to us, including your requests for support or assistance and information necessary to contact you or otherwise fulfill your request. We may ask you to share your screen or chat with us via video conferencing, and we will always ask your permission before recording any of these sessions.
• Information you provide to us to prepare or file a tax return using our Platform, which information may include your Social Security Number, date of birth, income, employment status, marital status, claimed deductions, credits, and other information necessary to accurately complete your tax return (collectively, "Tax Return Information").
• Banking information, such as account and routing numbers, which we use to facilitate refunds.
• Demographic information.
• Information that you make available to us via a social media platform, including content that you post on our social media pages and community pages.
• Information you submit to inquire about or apply for a job with us.
• Information you provide when you provide customer testimonials or feedback; post comments on our blog or community forums; or participate in our surveys, promotions, marketing events, trade shows, webinars, conferences, training, or product research.
• Any other information you submit to us.
Information We Collect Automatically
• Internet service provider
• Device identification number, including mobile device ID and IP address
• Operating system and browser type
• Analytical information about how you interact with our Platform and services, including how often you use the Platform; access dates and times; your activities on our Platform, including page views, mouse clicks, movements, and scrolling activity, events that occur on the Platform; performance information; and referring and exit pages
For more information about cookies and a list of our partners that collect the information described above, click here.
You may be able to limit access of some of these technologies at the individual browser or device level; however, this limitation may disable or limit some of the features offered. For example, our mobile application may send you push notifications from time to time in order to update you about any events or promotions that we may be running. If you no longer wish to receive these types of communications, you may turn them off at the device level. To ensure you receive proper notifications, we will need to collect certain information about your device such as operating system and user identification information.
Our products and services are not intended for or directed to children under the age of 13, nor do we knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13.
We may use the information we collect for the following purposes:
• Tax preparation and related services: Section 301-7216 of the Internal Revenue Code (“Section 7216”) specifically governs the use and disclosure of “Tax Return Information” as that term is used in Section 7216. Some states may also have additional laws and regulations related to use and disclosure of the same information. We use your Tax Return Information only in accordance with those applicable laws and regulations to prepare and assist in preparing your tax return, to provide services associated with preparing your tax return, and to provide you with other products and services you specifically request or consent to, unless otherwise allowed under applicable law.
• Service functionality: To complete purchases of products and services you request, including to process payments, fulfill orders, and service communications, as well as to conduct general business operations, such as accounting, recordkeeping, and audits.
• Service improvement: As permitted by law, to improve our services, analyze our customer base and purchasing trends and the effectiveness of our marketing.
• Customer support: As permitted by law, to address questions submitted to our customer or technical support systems and to send updates or security alerts.
• Marketing, advertising, and promotions: As permitted by law, to send marketing messages; to provide notification of new or related products and services, enhancements, and promotions; and to personalize advertisements that you see on our services and third-party online platforms and measure the effectiveness of our advertising.
• Personalization: To personalize your online experience, such as by recording your preferences and settings.
• Security and fraud prevention: To monitor and investigate fraud, identity theft, and other illegal activity; to protect your rights and safety or the rights and safety of others; and to protect and secure our services, Platform, assets, network, and business operations.
• Legal compliance: To comply with legal process, such as subpoenas, court orders, warrants, and other lawful regulatory or law enforcement requests and to comply with legal requirements.
Unless allowed by applicable law (including Section 7216) and we have your consent, we do not:
• Sell or rent your personal information for money;
• Use Tax Return Information to market products or services unrelated to tax preparation; or
• Share your personal information with third parties for use in their own commercial purposes.
The privacy and security of your information is important to us. As indicated below, we may share your information to support the products and services you request, or provide your information to third parties, upon your specific consent, for products and services that may benefit you.
We may share your information with the following types of entities:
• IRS and State Revenue Authorities: We disclose Tax Return Information only in accordance with your requests, such as when filing a tax return with the IRS or state revenue authority, or as allowed by applicable law (including certain permitted disclosures to other tax preparers or providers of auxiliary services).
• Public Authorities: TaxSlayer may be required to preserve and disclose personal information including Tax Return Information, and any part thereof, without your consent as provided by law, such as, to respond to lawful requests by authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, a subpoena or court order, judicial process or bankruptcy proceedings, or regulatory authorities to protect against fraud and in compliance with the IRS Security Summit. We may also disclose your personal information when we believe disclosure is necessary to protect your rights and safety, or the rights and safety of others. We may disclose your information to federal, state, or local officials to assist in the investigation or prosecution of a crime. As permitted by law, we may disclose your information to the IRS and Information Sharing and Analysis Centers (ISACs) to prevent stolen identity refund fraud (SIRF) and as related to potential cyber security threats.
• Acquiring Businesses: Your information may be disclosed in connection with an actual sale, merger, acquisition, dissolution or transfer of all or a portion of our business or relevant operating unit. We reserve the right to transfer your information as part of the transaction. In such an event, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership, incompatible new uses of your personal information, and choices you may have regarding your personal information.
• Service Providers: In some cases, your information may be disclosed to our service providers to complete a product purchase, to fulfill a service you request, or to market one of our products or services. Our service providers include companies that use Web analytics software or tools, deliver downloadable products, offer online software applications, or send emails on our behalf. Not all service providers may be applicable to you. Some service providers are only relevant if you use certain tax forms or otherwise prepare a tax return using our software. While these relationships may require us to share information, our service providers are prohibited from using your information other than to act on our behalf.
We provide a list of our service providers and other third parties with whom we share information through cookies, pixels, and similar tracking technologies on our Opt Out of Cookies and Similar Technologies page. For a complete list of our service providers, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Joint Marketing and Custom-Label Partners: We may provide information to individuals or companies with whom we have a joint marketing arrangement and/or that custom-label our Platform. We require all marketing and custom-label partners to have written contracts with us that require them to safeguard your information and prohibits them from selling, retaining, using, or disclosing your information for any purpose other than for performing the contract. We only share Tax Return Information with custom-label partners as permitted under Section 7216.
• Other Platform Visitors: We may post customer testimonials on our website. These testimonials may contain personal information such as a customer’s name. We will obtain your consent to use your name prior to posting your testimonial. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, contact us at email@example.com. Our website also offers publicly accessible blogs and/or community forums. Any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why. For example, if you used a third-party application to post such information, you may need to contact that third-party application directly.
TaxSlayer understands the importance of protecting customer information and we have a team dedicated to keeping your information secure. TaxSlayer meets all rules and regulations relating to data protection and security for the tax industry promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service and its Security Summit (https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/security-summit for more information).
TaxSlayer’s web-based and mobile applications secure information by utilizing a variety of security-related technologies to comply with regulatory standards and our internal information security policies.
We retain your information for up to three tax years to comply with our legal obligations, or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, contact us at email@example.com.
You have control over your personal data and how it’s collected, used, and shared. You have the right to access any information held by TaxSlayer that you either input directly or information collected as described above, subject to our data retention policy above.
Request a copy of your information
Upon request, TaxSlayer will provide you with certain personal information you specifically request by contacting customer support at firstname.lastname@example.org or via a request sent to our address provided below. Your information will be provided in a machine-readable format. Any tax returns will be available in a non-fileable format.
Change or correct personal information
You may view, manage, and/or make changes to your personal information by visiting your account online at www.taxslayer.com and selecting “Edit Account Information” in the My Account dashboard; by emailing our customer support; or via mail as set forth in the Contact Us section below.
Opt out of technologies
You may choose to opt out of certain technologies used on TaxSlayer’s website, including those used for online advertising purposes. However, the choice to opt out of certain technologies may affect, alter, or eliminate the functionality of certain features of or the products and services offered by TaxSlayer. To review and access opt-out procedures for our third-party technologies, see our Opt Out page.
If you exercise these options, please be aware that you may still see advertising, but it will not be personalized. Nor will exercising these options prevent other companies from displaying personalized ads to you.
If you delete your cookies, you may also delete your opt-out preferences.
Opt out of email communications
To unsubscribe from receiving general marketing messages from us, please go to our unsubscribe page.
You can also write us at:
945 Broad Street
Augusta, GA 30901
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California law provides California residents with additional rights regarding our collection and use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit the Privacy Notice for California Residents.
Any material changes to our policy will be immediately posted and made available to consumers on our website. Notification of changes may be made by email or by means of a notice on the Website.
Please read the Terms of Service below. They cover the terms and conditions that apply to your use of this website (the "Website," or "Site"). TaxSlayer, LLC. ("TaxSlayer") may change the Terms of Service from time to time. By continuing to use the Site following such modifications, you agree to be bound by such modifications to the Terms of Service.
General Terms and Conditions. In consideration of use of the Site, you agree to: (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration page and (b) to maintain and update this information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. If any information provided by you is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, TaxSlayer has the right to terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Site. You agree not to resell or transfer the Site or use of or access to the Site.
You acknowledge and agree that you must: (a) provide for your own access to the World Wide Web and pay any service fees associated with such access, and (b) provide all equipment necessary for you to make such connection to the World Wide Web, including a computer and modem or other access device.
By using the TaxSlayer.com web site, including any applets, software, and content contained therein, you agree that use of the Site is entirely at your own risk. THE SITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS," WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY FOR INFORMATION, DATA, SERVICES, UNINTERRUPTED ACCESS, OR PRODUCTS PROVIDED THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE. SPECIFICALLY, TAXSLAYER DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO: (1) ANY WARRANTIES CONCERNING THE AVAILABILITY, ACCURACY, USEFULNESS, OR CONTENT OF INFORMATION, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES AND (2) ANY WARRANTIES OF TITLE, WARRANTY OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THIS DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY APPLIES TO ANY DAMAGES OR INJURY CAUSED BY ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DELETION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS, COMMUNICATION LINE FAILURE, THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, ALTERATION OF, OR USE OF RECORD, WHETHER FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORTUOUS BEHAVIOR, NEGLIGENCE, OR UNDER ANY OTHER CAUSE OF ACTION.
NEITHER TAXSLAYER NOR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, SUCCESSORS, ASSIGNS, AFFILIATES, WEBSITE CO-BRANDING PROVIDERS OR CONTENT OR SERVICE PROVIDERS SHALL BE LIABLE TO YOU OR OTHER THIRD PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF USE OF SERVICE OR INABILITY TO GAIN ACCESS TO OR USE THE SERVICE OR OUT OF ANY BREACH OF ANY WARRANTY. BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE RESPECTIVE LIABILITY OF TAXSLAYER, ITS EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, SUCCESSORS, ASSIGNS, AFFILIATES, WEBSITE CO-BRANDING PROVIDERS AND CONTENT OR SERVICE PROVIDERS RESPECTIVE LIABILITY IS LIMITED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY SUCH STATE LAW.
TaxSlayer is the owner and/or authorized user of any trademark, registered trademark and/or service mark appearing at this Web Site, and is the copyright owner or licensee of the content and/or information on this Website including but not limited to any screens appearing at the Site. You may not download and/or save a copy of any of the screens except as otherwise provided in these Terms of Service, for any purpose. However, you may print a copy of the information on this Site for your personal use or records. If you make other use of this Site, except as otherwise provided above, you may violate copyright and other laws of the United States, other countries, as well as applicable state laws and may be subject to penalties. TaxSlayer does not grant any license or other authorization to any user of its trademarks, registered trademarks, service marks, or other copyrightable material or other intellectual property, by placing them on this Website.
TaxSlayer reserves the right to change any information on this Website including but not limited to revising and/or deleting features or other information without prior notice. Clicking on certain links within this Website might take you to other web sites for which TaxSlayer assumes no responsibility of any kind for the content, availability or otherwise. (See "Links from and to this Website" below.) The content presented at this Site may vary depending upon your browser limitations.
User Conduct On the Site.
While using the Site, you may not:
TaxSlayer has no obligation to monitor the Site. However, you acknowledge and agree that TaxSlayer has the right to monitor the Site electronically from time to time and to disclose any information as necessary or appropriate to satisfy any law, regulation or other governmental request, to operate the Site properly, or to protect itself or its customers. TaxSlayer will not intentionally monitor or disclose any private electronic-mail message unless required by law. TaxSlayer reserves the right to refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, that, in its sole discretion, are unacceptable, undesirable, inappropriate or in violation of these Terms of Service.
Unless otherwise indicated for a particular communication, any communications or material of any kind that you e-mail, post or otherwise transmit through this Website, including data, questions, comments or suggestions ("your Communications") will be treated as non-confidential and nonproprietary. In addition, TaxSlayer is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in your Communications for any purpose including, but not limited to, developing and marketing products using such information without compensation to you.
Failure to Comply With Terms and Conditions and Termination. You acknowledge and agree that TaxSlayer may terminate your password or account or deny you access to all or part of the Site without prior notice if you engage in any conduct or activities that TaxSlayer in its sole discretion believes violate any of the terms and conditions, violate the rights of TaxSlayer, or is otherwise inappropriate for continued access.
You acknowledge and agree that TaxSlayer may in its sole discretion deny you access through TaxSlayer to any materials stored on the Internet, or to access third party services, merchandise or information on the Internet through TaxSlayer, and TaxSlayer shall have no responsibility to notify any third-party providers of services, merchandise or information nor any responsibility for any consequences resulting from lack of notification.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold TaxSlayer and its affiliates harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees, arising in any way from your use of the Site or the placement or transmission of any message, information, software or other materials through the Site by you or users of your account or related to any violation of these Terms of Service by you or users of your account.
Links from and to this Website. You acknowledge and agree that TaxSlayer and any of its website co-branding providers have no responsibility for the accuracy or availability of information provided by linked sites. Links to external web sites do not constitute an endorsement by TaxSlayer or its website co-branding providers of the sponsors of such sites or the content, products, advertising or other materials presented on such sites.
Information in the many web pages that are linked to TaxSlayer's Website comes from a variety of sources. Some of this information comes from official TaxSlayer licensees, but much of it comes from unofficial or unaffiliated organizations and individuals, both internal and external to TaxSlayer. TaxSlayer does not author, edit, or monitor these unofficial pages or links. You acknowledge and agree that TaxSlayer and its Website Co-branding Providers shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on such external sites or resources.
Other Information. TaxSlayer is taking reasonable and appropriate measures, including encryption, to ensure that your personal information is disclosed only to those specified by you. However, the Internet is an open system and we cannot and do not guarantee that the personal information you have entered will not be intercepted by others and decrypted.
If you wish to make purchases through the Site, you may be asked by the merchant or information or service provider from whom you are making the purchase to supply certain information, including credit card or other payment mechanism information. You agree not to hold TaxSlayer liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as a result of any such dealings with any merchant or information or service provider through the Site. You agree that all information you provide any merchant or information or service provider through the Site for purposes of making purchases will be accurate, complete and current. The merchants and information and service providers offering merchandise, information and services through the Site set their own prices and may change prices or institute new prices at any time. You agree to pay all charges incurred by users of your account and credit card or other payment mechanism at the prices in effect when such charges are incurred. You also will be responsible for paying any applicable taxes relating to purchases through the Site.
IRS Circular 230 Notice. Nothing in our communications with you (including, but not limited to, any emails, web site content, attachments, enclosures or other accompanying materials) relating to any federal tax transaction or matter are considered to be "covered opinions" as described in Circular 230.
Miscellaneous. The Terms of Service and the relationship between you and TaxSlayer shall be governed by the laws of the State of Georgia without regard to its conflict of law provisions. You and TaxSlayer agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the state of Georgia.
The failure of TaxSlayer to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the Terms of Service is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the Terms of Service remain in full force and effect.
Pricing. By using this site you acknowledge and agree that TaxSlayer provides listing prices only as a guide. Pricing is determined at the time or print/e-file and is subject to change at any time without prior notice.
* Classic and Premium packages include all available online IRS forms. Pricing based upon customer service selections. "Everything" refers to all applicable IRS forms and schedules and the preparation of a federal tax return.