Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Indiana

What are Indiana's Filing Requirements?

According to Indiana Individual Income Tax Booklet:

You may need to file an Indiana income tax return if:

*You lived in Indiana and received income.

*You lived outside of Indiana and had any income from Indiana sources.


Full Year Residents

If you were a full-year resident of Indiana and your gross income (the total of all your income before deductions) was more than your total exemptions claimed, then you must file an Indiana tax return. A general rule of thumb is to file Indiana state taxes if your income is $1,000 or more. When it doubt, it is best to file.


To determine if you're required to file, first, figure your Indiana exemptions:

Since the IRS no longer allows federal exemptions on your federal tax return, you will have to figure your exemptions on your Indiana return. You can do that by clicking here.


Part Year and Nonresidents

If you were a part-year resident and received income while you lived in Indiana, you must file your Indiana income taxes.


Residents of Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin

*If you were a full-year resident of Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin, and your only income from Indiana was from wages, salaries, tips or commissions, then you need to file Form IT-40RNR.

*Generally, if you were a resident of another state (or country) at any time during the year and had income from Indiana (except certain interest, dividends or pension income), you must file a tax return with Indiana.


Married Couples Filing Requirements

*If you filed your federal income tax return as married filing jointly, you also must file married filing jointly with Indiana

*If you file your federal income tax return as married, filing separately, you must also file married, filing separately with Indiana.

*If you were not divorced or legally separated in 2017 you may have qualified for and filed as ‘head of household’ on your federal income tax return.

*Couples in same-sex marriages should file with Indiana using the same married filing status as they used for federal tax filing purposes.


For more information:

Indiana Reciprocal Agreement

Same Sex Couples Filing

Indiana Military Filing

Indiana Military Spouse Relief Act

Indiana Residency