Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Minnesota

Minnesota Property Tax Credit - M1PR

Eligibility Requirements

You may be eligible for a refund based on your household income and the property taxes paid on your principal place of residence in Minnesota. Generally, household income is your federal adjusted gross income plus most nontaxable income, minus a subtraction if you have dependents, made a contribution to a qualified retirement plan, or if you or your spouse are age 65 or older or disabled.


To qualify:

* as a renter, your total household income for 2016 must be less than $58,880. The maxi­mum refund is $2,060.

*as a homeowner, you may be eligible for one or both of the following refunds.


To qualify for the:

1. Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners), your total household income for 2016 must be less than $108,660. The maximum refund is $2,640.

2. Special Property Tax Refund, you must have owned and lived in your home both on January 2, 2016, and on January 2, 2017; your net property tax on your homestead must have increased by more than 12 percent from 2016 to 2017; and the increase must be at least $100. There is no income limit for the special property tax refund, and the maximum refund is $1,000.


If you meet the above qualifications as a renter or homeowner, read the other requirements below to determine if you still qualify. If you do not qualify, there is no need for you to complete Form M1PR.


Other Requirements Include:

You must have been a full- or part-year resident of Minnesota during 2015 - If you are a renter and a permanent resident of another state, but are considered­ to be a resident of Minnesota for income tax purposes because you lived in Minnesota more than 183 days, you may apply for this refund. Full year residents of Michigan or North Dakota do not qualify for this credit.


You cannot be a dependent - A dependent is a person who meets at least one of the following three require­ments:

1. could be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2016 federal income tax return.

2. lived with a parent, grandparent, sib­ling, aunt or uncle for more than half the year, and — was under age 19 at the end of the year (24 if a full-time student), and — did not provide more than 50% of his or her own support.

3. had gross income of less than $4,050 in 2016, and had more than 50% of his or her support provided by: — a person he or she lived with for the entire year, or — a parent, grandparent, child, grand­child, aunt, uncle, sibling, niece or nephew.

Note: You cannot claim a refund if you are a nonresident alien living in Min­nesota, your gross income was less than $4,050 and you received more than 50% of your support from a relative.


If you are a homeowner or mobile home owner:

* Your property must be classified as your homestead, or you must have applied for homestead classification and had it approved.

* You must have a valid Social Security Number to apply for homestead classification with the county. If you do not have a valid Social Security Number or use an Individual Tax­payer Identification Number (ITIN) to file your tax return, you do not qualify for the property tax refund as a homeowner.

* You must have paid or made ar­rangements to pay any delinquent property taxes on your home.


If you are a renter, you must have lived in a building on which the owner:

* was assessed property taxes; or

* paid a portion of the rent receipts in place of property tax; or

* made payments to a local govern­ment in lieu of property taxes.


If you are not sure whether property taxes were assessed on the building, check with your building owner.


Relative Homesteads DO NOT Qualify

Minnesota law allows homestead status for a home occupied by a relative of the owner, if certain qualifications are met. However, neither the owner of the property nor the relative occupant may claim the property tax refund or the special refund.



For additional information pertaining to the Minnesota Property Tax Rebate (M1PR), please refer to the Forms and Instructions.