Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: California

For certain children, investment income over $2,000 is taxed at the parent's rate if the parent's rate is higher. Use form FTB 3800, Tax Computation for Certain Children with Investment Income, to figure the child's tax.

Complete form FTB 3800 if all of the following apply:

  • The child is 18 and under or a full time student under the age of 24 at the end of 2013.
  • The child had investment income taxable by California of more than $2,000.
  • At least one of the child's parents was alive at the end of 2013.
  • The child was age 18 at the end of 2013 and did not have earned income that was more than half of the child's support.

For additional information, click here.