Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Refunds

Uncollected Refunds May be Waiting for You

Is there money waiting for you at the IRS? Each year money goes uncollected by people who either don't file a return or file but don't receive their refund due to an incorrect mailing address or a closed bank account. Here are two things you should know about collecting your refund:


If you don't think you need to file because you don't "earn enough": Some people earn income and may have taxes withheld from their wages but are not required to file a tax return because they have too little income. In this case, you can claim a refund for the tax that was withheld from your pay. Other workers may not have had any tax withheld but would be eligible for the refundable Earned Income Tax Credit, but must file a return to claim it.


Refunds that were undeliverable: If you requested that your refund be mailed to you and you moved before receiving it or had an incorrect address, or if you closed a bank account/entered a wrong bank account number - the IRS may still be holding your money.


* Refund checks are mailed to your last known address. Checks are returned to the IRS if you move without notifying the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service.

* You may be able to update your address with the IRS on the “Where’s My Refund?” feature available on You will be prompted to provide an updated address if there is an undeliverable check outstanding within the last 12 months.

* You can also ensure the IRS has your correct address by filing Form 8822, Change of Address, which is available on or can be ordered by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

* If you do not have access to the Internet and think you may be missing a refund, you should first check your records or contact your tax preparer. If your refund information appears correct, call the IRS toll-free assistance line at 800-829-1040 to check the status of your refund and confirm your address.