Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Kansas

Kansas Homestead Property Tax Refund (K-40H/PT)

Homestead Refund

The Homestead claim (K-40H) allows a rebate of a portion of the property taxes paid on a Kansas resident’s homestead. A homestead is the house, mobile or manufactured home, or other dwelling subject to property tax that you own and occupy as a residence. Your refund percentage is based on your total household income and the refund is a percentage of your general property tax. The maximum refund is $700.


Property Tax Relief (Refund For Low Income Seniors)

This property tax refund is for low income senior citizens that own their own home. The refund is 75% of the property taxes actually and timely paid on real or personal property used as their principal residence. Use Form K-40PT to claim this property tax refund. Claimants that receive this refund cannot claim a Homestead refund.



The Homestead Refund Program (K-40H) is for homeowners and renters who were residents of Kansas all of 2015. As a resident the entire year, you are eligible if your total household income is $34,000 or less and you:

1. were born before January 1, 1960, or

2. were blind or totally and permanently disabled all of 2015, or

3. have a dependent child who lived with you the entire year who was born before January 1, 2015, and was under the age of 18 all of 2015.


The Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors Program (K-40PT) is for homeowners that were 65 years of age or older, with a household income of $19,100 or less, and a resident of Kansas all of 2015.


Only one claim (K-40H or K-40PT) may be filed for each household. A husband and wife OR two or more individuals who together occupy the same household may only file one claim. A husband and wife who occupy separate households (such as one spouse living in a nursing home) may file separate claims and include their individual income.


Homeowners - If you owe any delinquent property taxes on your home your homestead refund will be used to pay those delinquent taxes. The Kansas Department of Revenue will send your entire refund to the County Treasurer.


Note: You are not required to enclose a copy of your property tax statement with your claim, however, KDOR reserves the right to request a copy at a later date.


If you moved during 2015, you may claim the general property tax or rent paid for the period of time you lived in each residence. Homeowners who rent part of their homestead or use a portion of it for business may claim only the general property tax paid for the part in which they live.


For additional information pertaining to the Homestead Refund Program or Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors, please see Homestead and Property Tax for Low Income Seniors