Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Maryland

Maryland Credits

Quality Teacher Incentive Credit

If you are a qualified teacher, you may be able to claim a credit against your Maryland tax liability for tuition paid to take graduate-level courses required to maintain certification. This credit applies to individuals who:


* currently hold a standard professional certificate or advanced professional certificate;

* are employed by a county/city board of education in Maryland, a state or local correctional facility, or a juvenile correctional facility as listed below;

* teach in a public school or qualified facility and receive a satisfactory performance;

* successfully complete the courses with a grade of B or better; and

* have not been fully reimbursed by the state/county/city for these expenses.



Only the unreimbursed portion qualifies for the credit.   The courses taken must be required to maintain certification and the cost of the courses must exceed any amount reimbursed by the county or Baltimore City.


 The maximum amount of credit allowed is $1,500 for each qualifying individual. The credit is limited to the amount paid, less any reimbursement, up to the maximum allowed credit.  Each spouse that qualifies may claim this credit.


If the credit exceeds your tax liability, the unused credit may not be carried forward to any other tax year.



Note: Qualified juvenile facilities are:

* the Alfred D. Noyes Children's Center;

* the Baltimore City Juvenile Justice Center;

* the Charles H. Hickey, Jr. School;

* the Cheltenham Youth Facility;

* the J. DeWeese Carter Center;

* the Lower Eastern Shore Children's Center;

* the Thomas J.S. Waxter Children's Center;

* the Victor Cullen Center;

* the Western Maryland Children's Center; and

* the youth centers.


For more information about this credit please click here.


Credit for Child and Dependent Care Expenses
If you were eligible for a Child and Dependent Care Credit on your federal income tax return and your income is below certain thresholds, you are entitled to a tax credit equal to a percentage of the federal credit.



If you purchased a new aquaculture oyster float during the tax year, you may be entitled to a credit of up to $500 for the cost of the float.



If you paid a premium for a long-term care insurance policy for yourself or certain Maryland resident family members, you may be eligible for a tax credit.



Individuals may be eligible for a tax credit for an easement conveyed to the Maryland Environmental Trust,
the Maryland Agricultural Land Preservation Foundation, or the Maryland Department of Natural Resources to preserve open space, natural resources, agriculture, forest land, watersheds, significant ecosystems, view sheds or historic properties.



If you are a qualified “Health Enterprise Zone (HEZ) Practitioner,” you may be able to claim a credit against your
state tax liability for income that you earned for practicing health care in an HEZ.



If you are a qualified licensed physician or a qualified nurse practitioner who served without compensation as a
preceptor, you may be eligible to claim a nonrefundable credit against your State tax liability.



Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State

If you are a Maryland resident and you paid income tax to another state, you may be eligible for a credit on your Maryland return. Nonresidents will not be eligible for this credit. For additional information pertaining to this credit as well as the different groupings of eligible states for which the credit can be taken, please see the instructions for Form 502-CR.


Note: TaxSlayer will automatically calculate this credit for your Resident Maryland return if you have a NonResident return created in your TaxSlayer account. If you have a Part-Year return created, you will be required to provide the information asked of you within your TaxSlayer state return.