Quality Teacher Incentive Credit
If you are a qualified teacher, you may be able to claim a credit against your Maryland tax liability for tuition paid to take graduate-level courses required to maintain certification. This credit applies to individuals who:
* currently hold a standard professional certificate or advanced professional certificate;
* are employed by a county/city board of education in Maryland, a state or local correctional facility, or a juvenile correctional facility as listed below;
* teach in a public school or qualified facility and receive a satisfactory performance;
* successfully complete the courses with a grade of B or better; and
* have not been fully reimbursed by the state/county/city for these expenses. Only the unreimbursed portion qualifies for the credit.
Each spouse that qualifies may claim this credit.
Note: Qualified juvenile facilities are:
* the Alfred D. Noyes Children's Center;
* the Baltimore City Juvenile Justice Center;
* the Charles H. Hickey, Jr. School;
* the Cheltenham Youth Facility;
* the J. DeWeese Carter Center;
* the Lower Eastern Shore Children's Center;
* the Thomas J.S. Waxter Children's Center;
* the Victor Cullen Center;
* the Western Maryland Children's Center; and
* the youth centers.
For more information about this credit please click here.
Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State
If you are a Maryland resident and you paid income tax to another state, you may be eligible for a credit on your Maryland return. Nonresidents will not be eligible for this credit. For additional information pertaining to this credit as well as the different groupings of eligible states for which the credit can be taken, please see the instructions for Form 502-CR.
Note: TaxSlayer will automatically calculate this credit for your Resident Maryland return if you have a NonResident return created in your TaxSlayer account. If you have a Part-Year return created, you will be required to provide the information asked of you within your TaxSlayer state return.