Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Utah

Utah Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State

If you are a Utah Resident or Part-Year Resident with income that is taxed by Utah and another state(s), the District of Columbia, or a possession of the United States, you may be entitled to a credit for income tax paid to the other state(s).


Nonresidents do not qualify for this credit.



Part-year residents rarely qualify for this credit, as Utah and other states only tax the income earned while a resident of that state. To qualify, your income must be:


  • Taxable in Utah;
  • Taxed also by the other state(s); and
  • Included in the income in “Column A – Utah” on form TC-40B.



The credit only applies to the part of your income taxed by both states


Any credit in excess of the tax due will not be refunded, and may not be carried back or carried forward.


TaxSlayer will automatically calculate this credit for your Resident Utah return if you have a Nonresident return created on your TaxSlayer account. If your Utah state return is a Part-Year return or the other state return is a Part-Year return, you will be required to enter the information asked within the state return menu.