Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Federal

Underpayment of Estimated Tax

What are Estimated Taxes?

Estimated tax is the method used to pay tax on income that is not subject to withholding. This includes income from self-employment, interest, dividends, alimony, rent, gains from the sale of assets, prizes and awards. You also may have to pay estimated tax if the amount of income tax being withheld from your salary, pension, or other income is not enough.


Who must pay Estimated Taxes?

If you had a tax liability for the previous tax year, you may have to pay estimated tax for the current tax year. You must pay estimated tax for the current tax year if both of the following apply.

* You expect to owe at least $1000 in tax for the current tax year after subtracting your withholding and credits.

* You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of;

* 90% of the tax to be shown on your current tax return, or

* 100% of the tax shown on your prior year tax return. Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.


Estimated payments are due on April 15, June 15, September 15 and then January 15, of the next calendar year. To calculate the amount you should send in for your estimated payment use 100% of last year's tax liability divided by 4 payments (if you are making four payments for the year). If you missed a payment and are only making 3 payments for the year then divide by three.


You can print out the payment voucher within our program by logging in > Federal Section > Payments and Estimates > Vouchers for Next Year's Estimated Payments. Enter your payment amounts and select Continue. Then go to Summary/Print menu to print your return. The payment vouchers will be included in the PDF of your return.

* For further instructions see Publication 505 Tax withholding and Estimated Tax


TaxSlayer entry: From the Federal Section select Payments and Estimates>>Underpayment of Estimated Tax. The TaxSlayer program will also prompt you before e-filing if you have amount due of more than $1000.00 to complete the Form 2210 Underpayment of Estimated Tax.