Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Prior Year Returns

What is the Service Fee to View/Print Prior Year Returns?

TaxSlayer does not charge a fee to view or print a Prior Year return. Returns prior to 2013 are not available through our system. If your return was never electronically accepted, we will be unable to provide a copy in PDF format.


Copies of prior year federal returns may be obtained through the IRS - however the cost is more substantial than our service fee and the return will be mailed to you after a period of time.


The following article is from the IRS' website:


Copy of Your Tax Return – How to Get One

If you need an actual copy of your return, you should complete and mail Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return along with a check or money order for $ 50.00 per tax year made payable to the "United States Treasury". Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.


Most needs for tax return information can be met with a tax return transcript or a tax account transcript, rather than an actual copy of the return. The tax return transcript shows information from the return as it was originally filed. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either the taxpayer or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. The IRS can provide transcripts for many returns free of charge. These transcripts may be acceptable substitutes for an actual copy of the return by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages. Check with your agency or lender to be sure.


You can obtain a transcript Form 4506-T (PDF), by using the IRS automated self-help service tools. Visit and click on "Get Transcript Online".