Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Finding Deductions

Business Use of Home (Overview)

Whether you are self–employed or are an employee, you may be able to deduct certain expenses for the part of your home used for business despite the general denial of business expense deductions for the home.


To deduct expenses for business use of the home, part of your home must be used regularly and exclusively as one of the following:

1. The principal place of business for your trade or business

2. The place where you meet and deal with your patients, clients, or customers in the normal course of your trade or business, or

3. In connection with your trade or business, if you use a separate structure that is not attached to your home,

4. On a regular basis for certain storage use

5. For rental use


6. As a day care facility.


Where the Exclusive Use Requirement applies, you cannot deduct business expenses for any part of your home that you use for both personal and business purposes. For example, if you are an attorney and use the den of your home to write legal briefs and also for personal purposes, you may not deduct any business–use–of–your–home expenses. Further, under the principal-place-of-business test, you must determine that your home is the principal place of your trade or business after considering where your most important activities are performed and most of your time is spent, in order to deduct expenses for the business use of your home.


Deductions also may be taken for regular use of a residence for the provision of day care services or for business storage purposes; exclusive use is not required in these cases. You also may take deductions if you rent out your residence. For more information, click here.


Deductible expenses for business use of your home include the business portion of real estate taxes, deductible mortgage interest, rent, casualty losses, utilities, insurance, depreciation, maintenance and repairs. You may not deduct expenses for lawn care in general or for painting a room not used for business. For more information, please review Publication 587.


TaxSlayer Entry: To utilize the Business Use of Home menu inside your account, visit the Schedule C menu.  Inside your account select Federal Section > Enter Myself > Profit or Loss from a Business.