Start For Free
Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!
Category: Education: Tax Breaks Related to School
What types of loans DO NOT qualify for the student loan interest deduction?
You cannot deduct student loan interest if the loan was from one of the following sources:
- A related person, OR
- A qualified employer plan.
Related Person: You cannot deduct interest on a loan you received from a related person. Related persons include:
- Your spouse,
- Your brothers and sisters,
- Your half brothers and half sisters,
- Your ancestors (parents, grandparents, etc.),
- Your lineal descendants (children, grandchildren, etc.), OR
- Certain corporations, partnerships, trusts, and exempt organizations.