Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Encontrando sus Deducciones

¿Quién puede deducir gastos de mudanza?

If you moved due to a change in your job or business because you started a new job, you may be able to deduct your moving expenses. To qualify for the moving expense deduction, you must satisfy two tests. Under the first test, the "distance test", your new job must be at least 50 miles farther from your old home than your old job location was from your old home. If you had no previous workplace, your new job must be at least 50 miles from your old home, or if you are a member of the armed forces and your move was due to a permanent change of station you also may qualify.

The second test is the "time test". If you are an employee, you must work full-time for at least 39 weeks during the 12 months right after starting your new job. If you are self-employed, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and for a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months after starting your new job. There are exceptions to the time test in case of death, disability and involuntary separation, among other things. For more information on qualifying to deduct moving expenses please refer to Publication 521, Moving Expenses.

Moving expenses are figured on  Form 3903 (PDF) and deducted as an adjustment to income on Form 1040 (PDF). You cannot deduct any moving expenses that were reimbursed by your employer.

For additional information, refer to the Form 3903 (PDF) Instructions and Publication 521, Moving Expenses.