Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Finding Deductions

What taxes are eligible for foreign tax credit?

You can take a credit for income, war profits, and excess profits taxes paid or accrued during your tax year to any foreign country or U.S. possession or any political subdivision (for example, city, state, or province), agency, or instrumentality of the country or possession. This includes taxes paid or accrued in lieu of foreign or possession income, war profits, or excess profits tax that is otherwise generally imposed. For purposes of the credit, U.S. possessions include Puerto Rico, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.


U.S. citizens living in certain treaty countries may be able to take an additional foreign tax credit for foreign tax imposed on certain items of income from the United States. See Tax Treaties in Publication 514 for details.