What should I enter for Box 2a, Taxable Amount?
Generally, the issuer of the 1099-R will have an amount listed in Box 2a for the taxable amount. If no amount is listed, you will need to determine the amount yourself.
* If this is a Roth Distribution that has been held for 5 or more years and you are withdrawing the contributions only, enter $0 for Box 2a.
* If you made nondeductible contributions to a Traditional IRA and are withdrawing only the contributions and not any earnings, enter $0 for box 2a.
* If you had a direct rollover from a qualified plan to another qualified plan, enter $0 for box 2a.
* If you are a Public Safety Officer, click the 'Click here for options' link to complete the worksheet to calculate the taxable portion.
* If none of these apply, select the 'Click here for options' link to complete the worksheet to calculate the taxable portion.