Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: General Questions

Where can I find my Prior Year AGI (Adjusted Gross Income)?

As part of the signature process when filing a return electronically, the IRS requires an identifying piece of information. This could be your last year's AGI (Adjusted Gross Income), last year's PIN number that you created or the IRS E-filing PIN number (Taxpayer issued IRS PIN).

Don't have a copy of Last Year's Return?
No problem. Click here to obtain an Electronic Filing PIN from the IRS or you may call 866-704-7388. Note: If you are filing a joint return, you will need to obtain a separate PIN for both the taxpayer and the spouse.

If you filed a federal tax return last year and have a copy of last year's return:
You can find your prior year AGI in the following places (based on the form that you filed):

  • If you filed Form 1040, your AGI will be listed on line 37.
  • If you filed Form 1040A, your AGI will be listed on line 21.
  • If you filed Form 1040-EZ, your AGI will be listed on line 4.

: For MOST Married Filing Joint filers, who filed joint last year, your Prior Year AGI will be the same for both taxpayers, even if one taxpayer did not work.

If you DID NOT file a federal tax return last year, or if you filed AFTER October 15 :
Enter "0" for your "Prior Year AGI". (If you did not file a tax return last year, the IRS does not have a prior year AGI on file for you.)

If you are under 16 years of age and this is your first tax return, you will be required to print, sign and mail your return.