Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: General Questions

I only need to file my STATE return. How do I file just my State without filing my Federal return?

At this time we only accept state only returns for users who have completed a Federal return with TaxSlayer and it has been accepted. If you want to file just your state return, and do not want to file your Federal return, you need to mark your return as a State-Only e-file.


To do this:


1. Log into your account. After your return is prepared and ready to be transmitted, click "E-file" located on the navigation bar. This will take you to the first page of the e-file process.

2. On the first page, both your Federal and State return(s) will be checked as ready for e-file. Since you only want to e-file your state return(s), you will need to click on the check box beside your Federal return and remove the "check mark".

3. Click "Continue To Next Step" on the Begin E-file Process page.

4. Continue through the submit e-file process until you get the confirmation that your return was sent successfully.

5. Check back over the next 24 - 48 hours to make sure the State(s) return has been accepted.


Please note: If your federal return was accepted via another online tax software company and not with our software, for security and tax fraud prevention purposes, we will not allow you to file a state only return.