Category: Finding Deductions
Whose medical expenses can I deduct on my return?
You can include in your deduction for Medical and Dental Expenses any qualifying medical and dental bills you paid for:
* Yourself and your spouse.
* All dependents you claim on your return.
* Your child that you do not claim as a dependent because of the rules for children of divorced or separated parents.
* Any person you could have claimed as a dependent on your return, except that person received $3,950 or more of gross income or filed a joint return.
* Any person you could have claimed as a dependent except that you, or your spouse if filing jointly, can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s current tax year return.
For more detailed information please visit the following link to IRS Publication 502, "Medical and Dental Expenses": http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf
If you did pay any qualifying medical expenses during the tax year, you can enter these under: Deductions > Itemized Deductions > Medical and Dental Expenses.