Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Personal Information

Tips for Taxpayers If Your Address Has Changed

You can change your address on file with the IRS in several ways:

  • Correct the address legibly on the mailing label that comes with your tax package if you are paper filing.
  • Write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return if paper filing or enter the new address within your TaxSlayer account.
  • Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year.
  • Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number (SSN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), or Employer Identification Number (EIN)and signature. **If you filed a joint return, be sure to include the information for both taxpayers. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, both taxpayers should notify the IRS of your new addresses.
  • Should an IRS employee contact you about your account, you may be able to verbally provide a change of address.


Be sure to also notify your employer of your new address so you receive your W-2 forms on time.

If you change your address after you have filed your return, do not forget to notify the post office at your old address so your mail can be forwarded.

Taxpayers who make estimated payments throughout the year should mail a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, or write the IRS center where you file your return. You may continue to use your old pre-printed payment vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones with your new address. However, do not correct the address on the old voucher. **If you prepared Estimated Payment Vouchers using your TaxSlayer account, you can update your address within the Basic Information section and then print your Estimated Payment Voucher's with the updated address.

The IRS does use the Postal Service’s change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, but it is still a good idea to notify the IRS directly.

Visit for more information about changing your address. You can find the address of the IRS center where you file your tax return or download Form 8822, Change of Address. The form is also available by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


If you need to update IRS records with your new business address, please fill out Form 8822-B.