Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Missouri

Missouri Additions to Income

Interest on State and Local Obligations

If you received income from an obligation of a state or political subdivision other than Missouri, enter the amount of that income, reduced by the related expenses incurred (management fees, trustee fees, interest, etc.) if the expenses are more than $500.


Nonqualified Distribution From a Qualified 529 Plan

Any distribution made by the Missouri Savings for Tuition Program (MOST), the 529 plan administered by the Missouri Higher Education Deposit Program, or any other qualified 529 plan, not used for qualified higher education expenses, must be added to the participant’s (taxpayer who made contributions to the plan) federal adjusted gross income. The amount of the distribution that must be added includes contributions previously exempt from state tax and deductible earnings generated from the program (if the earnings are not already included in federal adjusted gross income). If the participant is deceased, the beneficiary of the savings program must claim the nonqualified taxable distribution as an addition to federal adjusted gross income on the Missouri income tax return.


Food Pantry Contributions Included on Schedule A

If you are claiming the Food Pantry Tax Credit, (Form MO-FPT) and you included your donations as an itemized deduction on your Federal Schedule A, report the amount of your donations in this area of your Missouri return.


Nonresident Property Tax

If you are a nonresident or part-year resident and you reported property taxes paid to another state or political subdivision on Line 9 of your federal Schedule A, you must report that amount on Line 5 of Form MO-A, unless that state or political subdivision allows a subtraction to income for Missouri property taxes. For a list of states that allow a subtraction for Missouri property taxes, visit the Missouri Department of Revenue.


Partnership, Fiduciary, & S Corporation

Enter positive adjustments (additions) reported from partnerships, fiduciaries, S corporations, or other sources. The partnership, fiduciary, or S corporation must notify you of the amount of any such adjustment (addition) to which you are entitled.


Net Operating Loss

Carryback/Carryforward: In the year of your net operating loss, enter on Form MO-A, Part 1, Line 2, as an addition modification, the amount of your eligible net operating loss to be carried back or carried forward from the loss year. Enter the sum of the current year's net operating (as a positive number) plus any unused net operating losses from prior years. If your net operating loss carries forward from the carryback year, enter as an addition modification the unused portion of your net operating loss, as computed on Federal Form 1045, Schedule B, Line 10, or Federal Form 1045, Line 10.