Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Missouri

Missouri Property Tax Credits

If you qualify for the Property Tax Credit, you will then need to enter the following income information:

Railroad Retirement Benefits - Enter railroad retirement benefits before deductions for medical premiums or withholdings of any kind from Form MO-A, Part 1, Line 9. (Attach a copy of your Form RRB-1099-R, if applicable.) (Do not include social security equivalent railroad retirement included on Line 2.)


Veteran Payments and Benefits - Include education or training allowances, disability compensation, grants, and insurance proceeds.

Exceptions: If you are 100 percent disabled as a result of military service, you are not required to include your veteran payments and benefits. You must attach a letter from the Veterans Administration that states that you are 100 percent disabled as a result of military service.


To request a copy of the letter call the Veterans Administration at (800) 827-1000. If you are a surviving spouse and your spouse was 100 percent disabled as a result of military service, all the veteran payments and benefits must be included.


Pensions - Not included in Federal AGI- Enter the amount of pensions, annuities, rental income, dividends, or exempt interest income NOT included on Form MO-PTS, Line 1. (Do not include amount of excludable costs of pensions or annuities.) See the following to determine the amount of your pension or exempt interest:

* Forms 1099-R or W-2P — Total amount before deductions not included on Form MO-1040, Line 6 (Missouri adjusted gross income).

* Forms 1099-INT— Total amount not included on Form MO-1040, Line 6 (Missouri adjusted gross in come). Include tax exempt interest from Form MO-A, Part 1, Line 7.

If grants or long-term care benefits are made payable to the nursing facility, do not include as income or rent.


Amount of Public Assistance - Include the amount of public assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), child support, unemployment compensation, and Temporary Assistance payments received by you and/or your minor children. Temporary Assistance payments include Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) payments. In Missouri, the program is referred to as Temporary Assistance (TA). This includes any governmental cash received. Do not include the value of commodity foods, food stamps, or heating and cooling assistance. Attach a copy of Form SSA-1099(s), a letter from the Social Security Administration and/or Social Services that includes the total amount of assistance received, and Employment Security 1099, if applicable.

NonBusiness Loss(es) - Complete Line 7 only if nonbusiness losses reduced the amount reported on Form MO-PTS, Line 1. If Line 1 was reduced by nonbusiness losses, add back the amount of the loss on Line 7 (as a positive amount). A nonbusiness loss is a loss of income that did not result from a trade or business. (Losses from Federal Form1040, Schedule F and Schedule C are considered business losses and should not be included here.)


Complete the rest of the form based on your CRP (renters) received or your Property Tax Statement (owners).

Note: If your filing status on Form MO-1040 is married filing combined, but you and your spouse lived at different addresses the entire year, you may file a separate Form MO-PTC. Do not include spouse name or social security number if you marked married filing separate. (Example: One spouse lives in a nursing home or residential care facility while the other spouse remains in the home the entire year.) If filing a separate Form MO-PTC, you cannot take the $2,000 or $4,000 deduction on Line 7 and you cannot calculate your Property Tax Credit on the Form MO-PTS.


Helpful Hint: If you are legally married and living together, you must file married filing combined and include all household income.


For more information pertaining to the Missouri Property Tax Credit, please refer to Form MO-PTS.