Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Oklahoma

Oklahoma Additions to Income - Schedule 511-B

State and Municipal Bond Interest

If you received income on bonds issued by any state or political subdivision thereof, exempt from Federal taxation but not exempt from taxation by the laws of the State of Oklahoma, the total of such income shall be added to Federal Adjusted Gross Income.

  1. Income from all bonds, notes or other obligations issued by the State of Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Capital Improvement Authority, the Oklahoma Municipal Power Authority, the Oklahoma Student Loan Authority, and the Oklahoma Transportation Authority (formerly Turnpike Authority) is exempt from Oklahoma income tax. The profit from the sale of such bond, note or other obligation shall be free from taxation.
  2. Income from local Oklahoma governmental obligations issued after July 1, 2001, other than those provided for in line 1, is exempt from Oklahoma income tax. The exceptions are those obligations issued for the purpose of providing financing for projects for nonprofit corporations. Local governmental obligations shall include bonds or notes issued by, or on behalf of, or for the benefit of Oklahoma educational institutions, cities, towns, or counties or by public trusts of which any of the foregoing is a beneficiary.
  3. Income from Oklahoma Municipal Bonds issued prior to July 2, 2001, other than those provided for in line 1, is exempt from Oklahoma income tax only if so provided by the statute authorizing their issuance.
  4. Income on bonds issued by another state or political subdivision thereof (non-Oklahoma), exempt from Federal taxation, is taxable for Oklahoma income tax.

Note: If the interest is exempt, the capital gain/loss from the sale of the bond may also be exempt. The gain/loss from the sale of a state or municipal bond, other than those provided for in line 1, is exempt only if so provided by the statute authorizing its issuance.



Out-of-State Losses

If you incurred losses from the operation of an out-of-state business, or from the rental or sale of out-of-state property, any such losses must be added back to Federal Adjusted Gross Income. This includes partnership losses and losses sustained by Subchapter S Corporations attributable to other states.


Lump-Sum Distributions

Lump sum distributions not included in the Federal Adjusted Gross Income shall be added to the Federal AGI. Rollovers are taxed in the same year as on the Federal return. Enclose a copy of Form 1099 and a complete copy of the Federal return.
Note: The lump-sum distribution, added back on this line, may qualify for an exclusion of retirement benefits found on Schedule 511-A. The distribution must be received from a qualified plan and satisfy the requirements of the exclusion.


Federal Net Operating Loss

Enter carryover(s) included on Federal Form 1040.


Recapture of Depletion Claimed on a Lease Bonus or Add Back of Excess Federal Depletion

Upon the expiration of the lease, depletion claimed must be restored to income in the case of non-producing properties. Enter depletion claimed on a lease bonus if no income was received from the property due to its lease expiration. A complete schedule by property must be furnished.

If the 22% Oklahoma option for computing depletion was used in a previous year and the 65% Federal depletion limitation applied in that year, you must add back any unused Federal depletion being carried over from such year and used in the current year's Federal return. Applicable recapture is determined on a well-by-well basis.


Expenses Incurred to Provide Child Care Programs

Employers incurring expenses to provide accredited child care programs for children of their employees may be allowed a credit. If the credit is allowed, the eligible expenses upon which the credit is based must be added back to arrive at Oklahoma taxable income.


Recapture of Contributions to Oklahoma 529 College Savings Plan and OklahomaDream 529 Accounts

If an individual elects to take a rollover on a contribution within one year of the date of the contribution, for which a deduction was taken on the previous year's return, the amount of such rollover is included in income. As used in this paragraph, "rollover" means the transfer of funds from the Oklahoma College Savings Plan to any other plan under Section 529 of the IRC.

An individual who makes a non-qualified withdrawal of contributions for which a deduction was taken in tax year 2005 or later, such non-qualified withdrawal and any earnings thereon are included in income. If any of the earnings have already been included in your Federal AGI, do not include those earnings again here.


Miscellaneous Other Oklahoma Additions

  • Losses from the sale of exempt government obligations
  • Swine/Poultry that deducted accelerated depreciation - If you are a swine or poultry producer who has deducted depreciation on an accelerated basis on your Oklahoma tax return in previous tax years, the asset may be fully depreciated for Oklahoma purposes. Any depreciation deducted on this year’s Federal return, after the date the asset has been fully depreciated on your Oklahoma return, must be added back to avoid a duplication of depreciation. Enclose a copy of the Federal depreciation schedule showing the depreciation taken on the asset.
  • OK Refinery elected to expense the cost of property - If a qualified Oklahoma refinery, of which you are a partner or shareholder, elected to expense the cost of qualified refinery property, such property is fully depreciated for Oklahoma purposes. For Oklahoma purposes no depreciation expense can be taken for this tax year on such property. Enter your pro-rate share of such depreciation.
  • Pass Through Entity (PTE) add-back rent expenses or captive REIT - You will have an amount on this line if a pass-through entity, of which you are a member: was required to add-back rents and interest expenses paid to a captive real estate investment trust when determining Oklahoma distributable income, OR was a captive real estate trust that was required to add-back the dividends-paid deduction when determining Oklahoma distributable income.
  • Any additions not previously claimed