Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Federal

How do I file a CURRENT YEAR amended federal and state return?

Current IRS Regulations do not allow amended returns to be filed electronically. You will need to print and mail the amended return to the IRS for filing. The fee for the current year amended return is $42 (Prior Year Amended Return is $42 also). Once the fee is paid, you will be taken to the Amended Return Main Menu. There you will have a list of instructions on how to amend your return.  

For the current year program, log into the account and click the "Access 2018 Return", then select "2018 Amended Return" from the left side of the screen on the navigation bar.


How to amend your return:

Original Federal Return Information: Click this link and verify that all of the information listed matches what is listed on your most recently filed and accepted return. The information listed here will be what was listed in the  program when the e-file was accepted by the IRS. If you have already filed an amended return, though, some of this information could be different and you would need to edit the information as appropriate. You only need to make changes to the information listed on this page if you have already filed an amended return and this is your second amendment.


Make Corrections for Federal Amended Return: Clicking this option will take you back to the main part of the program. You can then add, edit, or remove entries as needed and the changes will be reflected on your amended return. Once the changes have been made, you will re-select "File an Amended Return" to return to the Amended Return Main Menu.


Create Amended State Return: If you need to file an Amended State Return, please select "Create Amended State Return". Select Edit next to the State in which you would like to amend, and then "Begin." You must answer "YES" to the question asking "Do you want to Complete an Amended Return?" for your State. Then proceed with the return to make the changes. We will automatically carry over the original information from your accepted State return. Please verify this information with what was reported on your original return. Make sure you've entered the explanation for the amended return in the Explanation section. Your state amended return forms will either have an "X" on them or say "Amended Return" on the document.


Enter Explanation: The IRS and states require an explanation for any changes being reflected on the amended return. Be sure to click this option and enter a short explanation for anything you have changed on your return.


Create a PDF of Amended Return: Once you have finished making changes, be sure to click this link and print your forms for mailing. Please be sure to include in the Amended Filing the amended Form (1040X for the Federal) and the correct copy of any forms that were changed or affected. You will also need to include any supporting documentation. For example, if you amended your return because you received an additional W-2, please include a copy of the W-2 with your amended filing. When in doubt, you can always choose to submit the entire corrected return along with the amended form.


Sign and Mail your Amended Return for Filing: Once you have printed, reviewed and attached all necessary forms to your amended return, you are ready to mail the return(s). Please be sure that you sign the amended return so as not to delay the processing procedure. You will mail the Federal and State Amended Returns separately. The processing time for the Federal Amended Return is approximately 12 weeks from the time you mail the return. The state processing times vary from state to state. The state amended return can be found at the end of the printed documents.


For the Federal mailing addresses, Click here. The mailing address for the state amended return should be printed on the individual state amended form.


If your state amended return mailing address is not present, please Click here.


To check the status of your Amended Return, please click here.