Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Most Common IRS Federal Reject Codes

Federal Reject Code IND 031 and IND 032

These reject codes state the prior year information (Adjusted Gross Income or PIN number) for you (IND-031) or your spouse (IND-032) do not match IRS records for the electronic signature.


If you filed a return last year that was accepted prior to October 15th (no matter where you filed) go back through the e-file process until you reach the "IRS PIN" page. Refer to the "Last Year Information" section and answer YES to the question "Did you file a Federal tax return last year?" You can also click the "Learn More" link for directions on how to answer.  


If you do not remember your Prior Year PIN or Prior Year Adjusted Gross Income, you will need to refer to the prior year return and find the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on the return. Your prior year's adjusted gross income (AGI) can be found on one of the following lines depending on your specific tax form: 


* Line 37 of Form 1040 

* Line 21 of Form 1040A 

* Line 4 of Form 1040EZ 

* Line 36 of Form 1040NR 


If you do not have your prior-year tax return, you may visit the IRS website and use the Get Transcript Online or Get Transcript by Mail tool to obtain your prior-year AGI. You may use the AGI to validate your signature and continue e-filing your return. You may also contact the IRS at: 1-800-829-1040 to obtain your prior year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) figures.


If you did not successfully file a return last year (no matter who the provider was) then answer NO to filing a return in the previous year and TaxSlayer will auto-populate a $0 for your Prior Year Adjusted Gross Income. Answer 'No' if you did not file before the October 15th deadline.

You will also create a new 5-digit PIN under the "Current Year Information" area to use when filing next year.


Married Filing Jointly: If your filing status this year is "Married Filing Jointly", you generally should put the same amount for both spouses' AGI amounts as long as you filed jointly last year. If you filed separately last year (or were not married last year), you would enter the different AGI amounts from each individual's prior year return. The AGI's entered must match the figures as they would be listed for IRS prior year records for each SSN for the return to be accepted. 



*Note: TaxSlayer will automatically pull forward your Prior Year PIN and Adjusted Gross Income if you use the same TaxSlayer account (username) each year. 



For Video Assistance in making a correction for code IND-031 click here. 


For Video Assistance in making a correction for code IND-032 click here.