Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Extensions

If you need more time to file, consider an extension

If you cannot meet the mid-April deadline to file your tax return, you can get an automatic six-month extension of time to file from the IRS. The extension will give you extra time to get the paperwork in to the IRS, but it does not extend the time you have to pay any tax due. You will owe interest on any amounts not paid by the mid-April deadline, plus a late payment penalty if you have paid less than 90 percent of your total tax by that date.


You must make an accurate estimate of any tax due when you request an extension. You may also send a payment for the expected balance due, but this is not required to obtain the extension.


To receive the automatic extension, file Form 4868, Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, with the IRS by the mid-April deadline, or make an extension-related electronic payment. You can file your extension request through our website, by phone, or by mailing the form in to the IRS.


To find out more about filing an extension through your TaxSlayer account, Click here.


For information on how to enter Form 4868 into your TaxSlayer account, Click here.


For information about filing state extensions, Click here.