Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!
Help Categories

State Filing Information for Active Duty and Spouse

their resident state. See the table below for links to state websites. The first column of links will take you to the active duty military filing information for each state. A nonmilitary spouse of a service member , who qualifies under

Can I deduct contributions I made to my spouse's IRA?

Yes. However, you must be filing a joint return. If you are filing as Married Filing Separately, you cannot deduct contributions made to your spouse's IRA. For more information on IRAs: Can I take an IRA Deduction for the amount I

What do I do if either I or my spouse is claimed as a dependent on someone else's return?

Filing Jointly and someone else intends to claim either the Taxpayer or the Spouse on the return as a dependent, you must check the same box. In most cases, if you are Married Filing Jointly, you either claim both exemptions for the Taxpayer

I am married. What AGI do I enter for me and what AGI do I enter for my spouse?

If you are married, the IRS requires you to enter a prior year AGI for both yourself and your spouse if you wish to file electronically. The amounts that you enter depend on how you filed your return last year. The AGI entered must match

What do I do if one of my dependents, my spouse, or I do not have a Social Security number?

To file a return electronically, the IRS requires a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for each person(s) listed on your return. If you, your dependent(s) or spouse does not have

How do I claim the Credit for Child and Dependent Care Expenses if my spouse was a student or disabled?

exist for either spouse if they filed separate returns

Mississippi Itemized Deductions

portion of the standard deduction ($2,300) or the exemption ($6,000) by one spouse on his/her separate return may not be used by the other spouse on his/her separate return. Married – Spouse Died in 2015 Use this filing status if your spouse

Basic Information > Filing Status

as your filing status for 2 years following the year your spouse died. For example, if your spouse died in 2014 and you have not remarried, you may be able to use this filing status for 2015 and 2016. This filing status entitles you to use joint

Maine Reject Codes

(Married Separate) must have spouse SSN OR if filing status QW (Qualifying Widower) Year spouse died, line 7B is required ME1040-1134 Exemptions must equal number of exemptions claimed on Federal 1040 return ME1040 Must equal Federal 1040

What filing status should I choose?

of Household will be $9,300 for the 2016 tax year. Qualifying Widow(er) with a Dependent Child - You may be eligible to use qualifying widow(er) with dependent child as your filing status for 2 years following the year your spouse died. For example