Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: General Questions

How do I choose the 1040-EZ, 1040-A or 1040 form?

TaxSlayer supports the 1040, 1040-A and 1040-EZ Forms.


You must qualify to use the 1040EZ Form to use the Free Basic Edition or you will be moved to the Classic Edition.


The 1040EZ qualifications are:

1. Your filing status is single or married filing jointly

2. You claim no dependents

3. You do not claim any adjustments to income

4. You do not claim any credits other than the earned income credit

5. You, and your spouse if filing a joint return, were under age 65 on January 1, 2016, and not blind at the end of 2015

6. Your taxable income is less than $100,000

7. You had only wages, salaries, tips, taxable scholarship and fellowship grants, unemployment compensation, or Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and your taxable interest was not over $1,500

8. Your earned tips, if any, are included in boxes 5 and 7 of your Form W-2

9. You do not owe any household employment taxes on wages you paid to a household employee

10. You are not a debtor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed after October 16, 2005

11. Advance payments of the premium tax credit were not made for you, your spouse, or any individual you enrolled in coverage for whom no one else is claiming the personal exemption


If you do not qualify to file the 1040EZ Form, you can use the 1040A Form using the Classic or Premium Edition.

You can use the 1040A Form if:

1. Your income is only from wages, salaries, tips, interest, ordinary dividends, capital gain distributions, taxable scholarships and fellowship grants, pensions, annuities, IRAs, unemployment compensation, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends, and taxable social security or railroad retirement benefits

2. Your only adjustments to income are the IRA deduction, the student loan interest deduction, the educator expenses deduction, and the tuition and fees deduction

3. You do not itemize deductions

4. Your taxable income is less than $100,000

5. The only credits you are claiming are the credit for child and dependent care expenses, the credit for the elderly or the disabled, education credits, the retirement savings contributions credit, the child tax credit, the additional child tax credit, the earned income credit, and/or the premium tax credit, and

6. You did not have an alternative minimum tax adjustment on stock you acquired from the exercise of an incentive stock option


You must use the 1040 Form if:

1. Your taxable income is $100,000 or more

2. You have certain types of income, such as business or farm self-employment income; unreported tips; dividends on insurance policies that exceed the total of all net premiums you paid for the contract; or income received as a partner, a shareholder in an S corporation, or a beneficiary of an estate or trust

3. You itemize deductions or claim certain tax credits or adjustments to income, or

4. You owe household employment taxes


TaxSlayer will automatically determine whether to use the 1040A or the 1040 Form based on your entries.


Click here for link to Tax Topic 352 - Which Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ?