Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Extensions

How do I make a payment with my extension?

When you file Form 4868, the IRS Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return, you can choose to pay the balance due amount in full, in part, or you can choose not to pay anything with your extension. If you do not pay the amount in full, though, you will owe interest on any amounts not paid by the mid-April deadline, plus a late payment penalty if you have paid less than 90 percent of your total tax by that date.


If you file your extension through TaxSlayer and choose to make a payment of your balance due, you can do so in one of two ways: by credit card or by mailing in your payment by check or money order.


For instructions on filing a Form 4868 within TaxSlayer, please Click here.



Pay By Credit Card: The IRS will allow you to pay the amount that you listed for "Amount of Tax Payment" on your extension application (Form 4868) by credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa). To do so, your payment must be at least $1. You can pay by phone or over the Internet through one of the following service providers:


Official Payments Corporation

888-872-9829 Payment

877-754-4420 Live Operator

877-754-4413 Service




888-729-1040 Payment

888-658-5465 Service



WorldPay US Inc.

888-972-9829 Payment

888-877-0450 Live Operator

877-517-4881 Service
































You will receive a confirmation number when you pay by credit card. Be sure to record this confirmation number are keep it for your records.


Note: Each service provider will charge a convenience fee based on the amount of the tax payment you are making. Fees may vary between service providers. You will be told what the fee is during the transaction and you will have the option to continue or cancel the transaction. You can also obtain the convenience fee by calling the providers' toll-free automated customer service numbers or visiting their websites.


Pay By Mail: If you intend to mail in your payment, you will need to print and mail your Form 4868 with the payment. For printing instructions, Click here.


Be sure to make your check or money order payable to the "United States Treasury." Write your social security number, daytime phone number, and "Form 4868" on your check or money order. Do not staple or attach your payment to Form 4868. Mail your Form 4868 and your payment to the appropriate address based on the chart below.


Note: If you e-file Form 4868 and mail a check or money order to the IRS for payment, use a completed paper Form 4868 as a voucher.


If you live in:

And want to pay by mail, send Form 4868 with your payment to the: Internal Revenue Service

Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky,  New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia

P.O. Box 931300
Louisville, KY 40293-1300

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia

P.O. Box 37009
Hartford, CT 06176-7009

Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas

P.O. Box 1302
Charlotte, NC 28201-1302

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

P.O. Box 7122
San Francisco, CA 94120-7122

Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wisconsin

P.O. Box 802503
Cincinnati, OH 45280-2503

A foreign country, U.S. possession or territory*, or use an APO or FPO address, or file form 2555, 2555-EZ, or 4563, or are a dual-status alien.

P.O. Box 1302
Charlotte, NC 28201-1302 USA

* If you live in American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or the Northern Mariana Islands, see IRS Pub. 570.


For other electronic payment options on the IRS website, click the link below:
Electronic Payment Options