Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: Oklahoma

Oklahoma Credits

Volunteer Firefighter Credit

For taxpayers who qualify for the $200 or $400 Oklahoma Volunteer Firefighter Tax Credit, the completed and signed Council on Firefighter Training's (COFT) form must be included as supporting documentation. For further information, please contact the Council on Firefighter Training at 405-601-8862 or visit their website.

Credit for Property Tax Relief

Any person 65 years of age or older or any totally disabled person who is head of a household, a resident of and domiciled in this state during the entire preceding calendar year, and whose gross household income for such year does not exceed $12,000, may file a claim for property tax relief on the amount of property taxes paid on the household occupied by such person during the preceding calendar year. The credit may not exceed $200.

Sales Tax Relief/Credit

If you are required to file an Oklahoma income tax return, your return must be filed by April 15. An extension of time to file your return, including the April 20th due date for electronically filed returns, does apply to this credit.

To file for sales tax relief, you must be an Oklahoma resident for the entire year. Your total gross household income cannot exceed $20,000 unless one of the following applies:

  • You can claim an exemption for your dependent, or
  • or are 65 years of age or older by 12/31/2014, or
  • You have a physical disability constituting a substantial handicap to employment.

If any one of the above three items pertains to you, your total gross household income limit is increased to $50.000. A person convicted of a felony shall not be permitted to file a claim for sales tax relief for any year for which that person is an inmate in the custody of the Department of Corrections for any part of that year.

Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State

A resident Oklahoma taxpayer who receives income for personal services performed in another state must report the full amount of such income on their Oklahoma return. If the other state taxes this same income as well, the resident may qualify for this credit. A part-year resident who receives income from personal services performed in another state while an Oklahoma resident must report the full amount of such income. If another state taxes this income, the part-year resident may qualify for this credit.

Note: TaxSlayer will automatically calculate this credit for your Resident Oklahoma return when you add the Nonresident return for the other state return to your account. For Part-Year Oklahoma returns that have income taxed in Oklahoma and another state, you will need to manually enter the required information asked of you within your Oklahoma Part-Year return.