Start For Free

Fast, Secure, and Always Accurate!

Back to List

Category: State Tax Questions

How do I file a state return without a federal return?

Much of the information that gets reported on a state return gets pulled from your federal return. Because of this, you must enter your federal return information as though you are preparing a federal return. When you are done with your federal return, add the appropriate state return(s) that you plan to file within your TaxSlayer account.


At this time, we do not offer "state only" filing. If you did file your federal return previously with TaxSlayer and it has been accepted, you may file your state return at a later time. 


If you have already filed a federal return elsewhere, it is recommended that you file your state returns with that provider as well. You may also go to the state website for assistance.


If you wish to use to TaxSlayer to create a state return and mail it, you will still be required to pay the preparation fees for the federal and state returns.