This article was last edited on Jan. 13, 2017. For updated information on tax prep, visit our checklist.
Filing your taxes can be a large and time-consuming task. This is especially true if you have decided to take the plunge and e-file and your papers are a bit disorganized. Whatever your situation, TaxSlayer is here to help you from prep to e-filing your return.
To make it easy, we’ve pulled together a short checklist of items that will get you thinking about and pulling together needed items to prepare your return. Get started by dedicating 30 minutes to an hour this weekend and go through our simple checklist below.
- Previous year tax return. Request a copy, if you don’t have one, of your filed previous year tax return which includes your AGI (Annual Gross Income). Returning TaxSlayer customers will have access to this and new customers can easily upload their return using our PDF import.
- Income verification. Make sure you have all your W-2s, 1099s and/or 1098s for various jobs or other sources of income.
- Charitable donations. Gather your receipts and/or letters verifying charitable donations.
- Childcare costs. Request a report of the amount of fees you paid for childcare via your childcare provider.
- Education costs. Expect in the mail or download Form 1098-T if you had tuition and expenses related to secondary education. If you are repaying student loans, Form 1098-E will be provided by your lender. This form reports the interest you’ve paid on that loan.
- Dependents personal information. Be sure you have the full name, birthdates and social security numbers of all your dependents.
- Proof of health insurance. Expect Form 1095-B or 1095-C if you received private insurance via your employer or through the Marketplace Exchange via the Affordable Health Care Act.
- Mortgage interest statement. Be on the lookout for Form 1098, or something similar, if you own a home and paid over $600 in mortgage interest. This documentation will be provided via your mortgage holder.
Doing this puts you one step ahead of the 150+ million people who will e-file this year. Now that you’re organized, start the filing process with TaxSlayer. Simple.