How to File a Tax Extension with TaxSlayer

When you need extra time to finish your federal tax return, you can file for an extension of time to file with the IRS. It is free to file an extension, and you’ll get six more months to file your return.

TaxSlayer can help you submit an extension quickly and easily. Here’s how it goes:

How to file an extension with TaxSlayer

First, create an account with TaxSlayer and start a tax return. If you have already created an account, simply log in and access your return for the current year.

Next, fill out your personal information for yourself, your spouse (if you are filing jointly), and any qualifying dependents you may have.  

Select Federal on the main menu. Then, select Miscellaneous Forms from the options listed. Finally, select Form 4868 Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File.  

You’ll be asked to provide the following information on your extension request form: 

  • Taxpayer name and address
  • Taxpayer Social Security number (SSN)
  • Spouse’s SSN (if filing as married) 
  • Estimated tax liability 
  • Total taxes paid, including quarterly payments, withholding taxes, and the payment amount you are sending with your extension

When you are finished filling out Form 4868, you can file it electronically with TaxSlayer just like you would with a regular tax return. You should get an acknowledgment within 24-48 hours of whether the IRS has accepted or rejected your application for extension. 

For more details, read How to Complete Federal Extension Form 4868

How to pay your tax bill when you file an extension

Once you’ve filed your extension, you can pay your income taxes directly from your bank account with electronic withdrawal, by credit card, or by printing out the form and mailing a check or money order to the IRS. 

Read also: Do I Need to File a Tax Extension and Other FAQs

This article is intended to provide general information to the public and does not provide personalized tax, investment, legal, or business advice. You should seek the assistance of a professional for advice on taxes, investments, and any other financial, legal, or business matter pertinent to your individual situation.

Related Posts