Where can I file my taxes for free?
If you qualify, you can file your federal return and one state return for free online using TaxSlayer Simply Free.
What is included for free?
With TaxSlayer Simply Free, you can:
- Prepare, print, and e-file a basic 1040 federal tax return
- Deduct student loan interest and claim education credits
- Upload a prior year tax return from another tax service
Plus, file confidently with your guaranteed maximum refund and 100% accuracy guaranteed.
Who is eligible to file for free?
If you have a simple tax situation (basic 1040) and meet the requirements listed here, then you qualify to file with Simply Free!
Is TaxSlayer really free?
Yes, TaxSlayer Simply Free is really free if your tax situation meets the following requirements:
- Your taxable income is less than $100,000.
- You don’t claim dependents.
- Your filing status is single or married filing jointly.
- Your types of income are wages, salaries, tips, taxable interest of $1,500 or less, and/or unemployment compensation.
- You claim the standard deduction.
What if my tax situation doesn’t qualify for Simply Free?
No worries – if your tax situation does not qualify for Simply Free, you can file with any of our other products. With TaxSlayer, you get all forms, credits, and deductions for less than the other guys. You can compare our products here.
A few tax situations that are not covered by Simply Free include:
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Itemized deductions (Schedule A)
- Self-employed or 1099-MISC income (Schedule C)
- Stock sales (Schedule D)
- Rental property income (Schedule E)
If at any point in the filing process your tax situation no longer qualifies for Simply Free, you will be notified and switched to Classic. You won’t lose any of your progress, and Classic covers all tax situations – no form or schedule restrictions.
The information in this article is up to date through tax year 2021 (taxes filed in 2022).